Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
27 rating, 285 votes27 rating, 285 votes

+27
Score

Votes

Amazon VOD Support

Idea 1105 | Posted in , by | March 17, 2010

Would eliminate the need for other VOD players:)

Amazon Instant Video is now available on PlayStation Network. http://bit.ly/HHEENX

23 Comments

Enforcer_X  |  March 18th, 2010 at 7:52 am

I believe this is coming, as Sony has said that the BRAVIA Internet Video link is coming to the PS3, and Amazon VOD is included in that so hopefully it makes the jump as well.

Source: http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/01/13/interview-with-stan-glasgow-coopresident-of-sony-electronics-usa/

viguru  |  March 21st, 2010 at 3:18 am

oh nice!! Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Morac_  |  June 6th, 2010 at 12:16 pm

This would be nice, but I doubt Sony would allow it since Amazon VOD competes directly with Sony’s PS3 video store and Amazon VOD is superior in the following ways:

1. Amazon allows re-downloading of purchased videos, while Sony does not. Basically Amazon videos are stored in the “cloud” while PS3 videos are not.

2. When you buy an HD version of a video on Amazon, you get the SD version free.

3. Amazon videos can be downloaded to 4 devices at a time (2 HD capable and 2 portable). Devices can be swapped out by removing the video from one device and downloading to a different device. Sony also limits downloads to 4 devices (1 PS3 and 3 PSPs), but there is no way to change which devices are allowed though, with the exception of doing a data move transfer between PS3s.

Amazon VOD can be viewed on their web site, streamed to many TV’s, blu-ray players and Roku and downloaded to TiVo. Sony’s PS3 video store can only be downloaded to PS3 or PSP.

Because of Sony’s limitations, Amazon’s VOD service is better than Sony’s PS3 TV. I actually rank it better than iTunes for the same reason I rank it higher than the PS3 TV store. That makes me think it won’t be coming to PS3. It would be nice if it did though.

Exittix3  |  November 30th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

What’s the story with voting against this? Who doesn’t want this? Is that Sony making some sway happen?

Loki_d20  |  December 7th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Would love to see this come to the PS3. It’s already available on Sony Bravia TVs (and surely others).

As far as competition for their own movie service, the same thing can be said of Netflix and Hulu, though I can see where Amazon VOD would be a stronger contender.

Honestly, the way Sony has the PSN set up in general just doesn’t support a structure that can really compete against iTunes or Amazon for video distribution. They don’t allow you to buy full seasons at reduced price, you in fact have to add each episode one at a time to your basket. And, their prices tend to be on the steep side compared to what you can get elsewhere.

PeaceC75  |  December 28th, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I have to second that question: who would be against this? If the PS3 got this, it would be on par with the Roku Player as being an all around great media hub device.

Shinmigami  |  January 4th, 2011 at 9:37 am

I would like to see this as well, especially since there is VUDU on ps3. Why not have it an all inclusive media hub?

D0nT_P4n1K_42  |  February 17th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Sony already has Blu-ray players with Amazon VOD on them, why not enable that for PS3?

who cares if it competes? people have to buy the PS3 to use it!

crtjer  |  February 17th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

This isn’t a direct competition. If that is the case then so is Vudu and Vudu is already on the PS3. This is would a huge step in the right direction.

brianjwd  |  February 22nd, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Amazon Prime that was announced recently would be a perfect addition. Sony hop on this quickly.

Rick-Dekard  |  February 22nd, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This would be a great feature. They just added VUDU, which directly competes with PSN, so why not give users the choice to watch or listen to their Amazon purchases on the PS3.

dcallego  |  February 23rd, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I currently use Netflix and Hulu on my PS3. As an Amazon Prime member, I really would like to see this as another streaming option.

SgtPnkks  |  February 24th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

all the people who downvoted this should be beaten about the head and neck until they can do not much more than mumble and drool

Turtlejet  |  February 27th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

This needs to happen. I don’t care if they offer purchasing functionality, I just want access to the Amazon video that I have already paid for/have access to as part of my prime subscription.

FeistFan  |  March 5th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I can’t understand why this would have even a single down vote. I don’t use Netflix, but I see the new disk-less Netflix compatibility as a huge plus for the PS3 in general, and it increases my interest in Netflix. The same is true with Vudu (the free trial was greatly appreciated!) and Hulu Plus.

Amazon’s making a play for the video market with their enhancement to the Plus service. Sony is foolish for not jumping in on this — PLEASE add support for Amazon VOD! Surely Amazon is going to start courting hardware vendors more seriously now, and I can’t see why “It only does everything…except Amazon VOD” is a good marketing strategy.

EagleEyeSamurai  |  March 10th, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Why does idea have a negative score???

WOZAMATA WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?

We already have Netflix, Hulu, and Vudu. The more, the merrier. The PS3 IS being touted as an ultimated multimedia machine, so the doors should be opened to Amazon VOD, especially since the service is already available on wifi-enabled Bravias.

Hazelhurst  |  March 18th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Please make this happen Sony. I have Amazon Prime and would love to watch their video on demand service through the PS3. I don’t want to have to use another device.

Pericynthion  |  September 25th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

With Netflix subscribers leaving in their droves, I think this has to float up the priority list now. I can watch Amazon on the Bravia in one room – how about in the other room on my PS3?

nickexperience  |  September 28th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

This is a must have option for me. The PS3 is the cornerstone of my media center, and the lack of Amazon VOD is a glaring omission. There are workarounds (PlayOn), but a native application would obviously be much better.

khonsu3  |  January 9th, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I agree. Adding the ability to play Amazon Instant Videos would be a great addition to the PS3 experience.I must admit I was very surprised that you get get all the way to selecting a movie but just couldn’t click make it play. Sony’s browser must have some restrictions on it?

bishop41376  |  February 28th, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Sony already has competition on the PS3 for the PSN. VuDu and CinemaNow. both directly compete.

viguru  |  April 4th, 2012 at 9:56 am

Yay, Amazon Instant Video is now realized. Sony, you can now close this one!