Join Now   Login Select a Language: English   Visit Playstation.Blog.EU

PS3 auto-off after downloads finish

Idea 439 | Posted in , by | March 17, 2010

I’d love to see an option for the PS3 to turn itself off after all queued downloads are finished downloading. This would be especially useful for downloading HD movies overnight.

30 Comments Add your own

NeoLeech  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

This feature already exists. If you try and shut down the PS3 while you have stuff downloading, it’ll give you the option to shut down the system when they’re done.

boxmyth  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for the tip!

tsukasa1288  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This function exists already

TheManick  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This is already an option. Press the “Power Off” icon in the XMB (It’s in the USERS section) while downloads are running. You will get a prompt asking you if you want the PS3 to power down once downloads are finished.

It will download and INSTALL all queued downloads then power itself off.

FJ1100_rider  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:03 pm

update your ps3
this feature was added in fw 2.80 . scroll to the top left and choose shutdown automatically after background download . it also installs game and demos befor it shuts down

WindedHero  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

They already have this. Set active items in your download queue, then go to turn off system via XMB.

Crapotin  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

This new blog Share thing is incredible ! I’ve chacked two minutes after this suggestion was posted, I was able to auto-off my PS3 after downloads !!!

LeoDaLyon  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Given this post, my idea would be to educate your customers more thoroughly.

Pantteri_12  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:27 pm

this is allready pos… , oh i wasn’t the first

ZAANOS  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Crapotin that feature was implemented ages ago. Unless you were being Sarcastic.

CruzaderXL  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

lol this is old feature. Make sure this gets deleted.

SHARKGUN  |  March 17th, 2010 at 6:05 pm

get your facts right next time….

cfcj12  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:46 pm

in case you hadn’t caught on by the 18 people repeating what the people in front of them said, maybe this will help: YOURE UPDATED PS3 ALREADY DOES THIS.

MarinoBrea  |  March 18th, 2010 at 1:13 am

…everybody please just vote this entry down

AndyVance  |  March 18th, 2010 at 6:36 am

special :) Go to the turn off system option on the first tab of the xmb and theres a toggle box for this.

Chuckbait  |  March 18th, 2010 at 7:52 am

This already exists you moron.

naruto_2007  |  March 23rd, 2010 at 2:07 am

lol, just look how many people are repeating the same thing

VIDEOgameDROME  |  June 17th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

(this post already exists) lol

Techni  |  October 8th, 2010 at 3:10 am

How does stuff like this get approved?

boneyardweller89  |  October 9th, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Yep, you can already do this. What I want is to be able to continue a download while the system is turned off and save power!

liquidypoo  |  December 12th, 2010 at 3:47 am

Hurf durf did you know this was already a feature

Seriously though, dude, I am sorry you had to deal with so many mouthbreathers just jumping on your idea after having been told a million times already.

Plagued1337  |  March 8th, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I see a lot of people are criticizing this post, but I would like to say that if you use the “PS” button on the controller to turn the system off (holding it for a few seconds and then selecting “Turn off System”) it DOESN’T prompt you if you have downloads! I have always turned my PS3 off this way so I have never known about this feature. I don’t understand why it doesn’t prompt you via “PS” button!

Now, since all of you are so smart, is there an option to “Turn off system when controller is fully charged”? My Xbox does this, why can’t my PS3? Since Sony decided to save some flippin’ pennies when deciding the length of the charging cord I cannot sit on my couch and “play and charge” and my TV is too big to move any closer. Microsoft was generous enough in the cable department where this isn’t a problem AND if your controller is plugged in via USB and is still charging when you turn it off, it automatically goes into a low power mode and finishes what it started.

Plagued1337  |  March 8th, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Continued….
Also, I think Sony’s developers need to take a entry level programming class that covers queues. The basic idea is “First in, first out.” If I start downloading a new item and there is something already in the download queue, it should finish before my new item starts! First in, First out! What is so hard about that concept!? The result of this idiocy is a demo sitting at 98% completion, while a new 2Gb demo starts from 0%. What?! Why?!

These are some small, but annoying things that would be easily fixed.