Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog

+1,837
Score

2,417
Votes

Remove DVD region lock on PS3

Idea 1074 | Posted in , by | March 17, 2010

Sony would remove the region locking encoding on the PS3, to allow DVD from all regions to be player. Region free players are now common place, DVD ‘encryption’ has been cracked, just be brave, sony

29 Comments

pad2007  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:36 pm

This isn’t the Blu Ray protection, while your at it. Allow us to play ps1/ps2 games from all areas. Open it up Sony, please…

InfinityDevil  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Get rid of this one. It’s probably a violation of their DVD licensing terms to do this.

TheSecretBaldwin  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:42 pm

This has nothing to do with Sony. You need to petition Paramount, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros. etc. This is not even in the realm of possibility given that each studio has different distribution deals worldwide per film. IE “Film X” is distributed by Miramax in the US and Universal in Europe.

That would all be meaningless if you could buy a DVD or stream from outside of your region. (Yes it’s possible, but they don’t want it to be as easy as popping it into your PS3.)

Techni  |  March 17th, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’d rather they remove territorial lockout on PS1/PS2 games

tomstockmail  |  March 18th, 2010 at 3:13 am

The average consumer won’t find a not-their-region DVD though…

fsapo  |  March 18th, 2010 at 8:00 am

That would be nice.

I hate it when I have to turn on my Xbox just to play DVDs. My PS3 is region 1 and I’m at region 4 (Brazil).

danwii  |  March 18th, 2010 at 10:48 am

nothing should be region locked as it just makes me copy the dvd and burn a copy to play when i go to a different region i shouldn’t have to do this

excelent81  |  March 18th, 2010 at 11:50 am

Agreed. Region locking is just one more way to contribute with piracy .

JohnCritton  |  March 18th, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Region locking just sucks. I would go as far as even paying some reasonable (> 10 Euro) price for a DLC that removes Region locking for DVD, PS1 and PS2 playback. (If PS2 combatibility ever comes back)

arnoldmcguire335  |  March 18th, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I do want that so I can play Kamen Rider Climax Heroes for PS2 and at the same time watch an R2 release of GaoGaiGar FINAL.

ohgrwockey  |  March 18th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

won’t happen considering Sony is one of the companies behind the DVD and Blu-Ray standards.

as was said the average customer will NOT be affected by region locking. and saying it contributes to piracy is just plain stupid as the amount of people who know/care about region locking will never add to the majority of the customers.

razielbrrs  |  March 18th, 2010 at 11:17 pm

well, a good other way to do this is sell a “soft” DVD region change.

i will gladly pay, let´s say 20 bucks to change my dvd region.

SiliconSamurai  |  March 19th, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I have a lot of DVDs from overseas – things that were never released in Australia. It’s a pain to have to rip them to play on the PS3, or use another DVD player.

DVDs are an old format now – no one cares about locking on them. Keep your Blu-ray locks if you must, but drop the DVD locks so the PS3 is actually a much more useful media centre.

Copyright_owner  |  April 1st, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I think you should learn out of the PS3 Linux incident.
Illegal actions cannot be tolerated.
Please support more legal and fair ideas:
Remove DivX and MP3 support at next update
Stay tuned.

bombayboy7586  |  April 11th, 2010 at 12:31 am

Blu-rays have region encoding on them, but a majority of released blu-ray titles are region-free. Hence, the matter doesn’t pinch as much when it comes to blu-ray. However, most of the DVDs made in the US have been region-locked to region 1. I’m outside the US, but have had relatives bringing DVDs as gifts from there. While they used to play on my old Sony DVD player, they don’t on the PS3. This issue does not affect US customers as much, unless they purchase a region 2 disc from the UK. But for those outside those regions, who have a fair number of region 1 DVDs, the feature would be a boon.

Would really love it if Sony could make the PS3 region-free.

BalramRules  |  April 15th, 2010 at 10:42 am

oi! Comment 3, this has EVERYTHING to do with Sony, all they need to do, is just pay Paramount, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros. etc. a little bit of cash, and done, ALL of their future consoles and current consoles can play DVDs, besides they’ve already done this for the Sony PS2, so now it isn’t their problem it’s Sony’s, coz right now, they’re only scared of the fact that if they include this in a system update, some people may become capable of hacking the system to play PS2 Games, like they did with Linux X1

DanAQ  |  June 30th, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Remove DVD region lock on PS3.
Real Media Center is that.

StellviaRising  |  July 5th, 2010 at 9:56 pm

contractual obligations pretty much rule this idea out no matter what you desire.

Alestes  |  August 10th, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Would be nice if it happened (but I doubt it). I don’t have many DVDs from other regions, though, but there are a few.

AnthonyTonyMagic  |  September 2nd, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Please do this. The region lock is the only thing stopping the PS3 from becoming my sole DVD player. The quality on PS3 is great, but I have to keep my Hyundai (yes, I just said Hyundai) DVD player that I got free from the telephone company :D

Here in Hong Kong, pretty much every DVD player on the market is region free, and I’m pretty sure Sony ones are too. The reason is that we have so many DVD movies from other regions, as well as region-free DVDs on the market here. I was really surprised when I tried to load up my Japanese A-Team Season 1 DVD, and the darned thing didn’t load. Why not make the PS3 region-free for DVDs, Sony?

pitythefool852  |  October 26th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

The A-Team rocks, by the way bro

Yes… please remove the Region Coding from older formats like DVD and from PS One games.

nixdox  |  February 22nd, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Purchased my ps3 on US and im in latin america now, wanted to play region 4 dvd but cannot do it… I wouldnt mind to pay for a region change or unlock from the ps store, i just dont understand why the region lock, its useless….

QueenB82  |  March 18th, 2011 at 6:24 am

Seriously, this soo needs to eventually happen. If nothing else DVD region-coding should at best mirror that of the way Blu-ray coding is done. Or include an option that offers the ability to let the PS3 at least play 2 different regions.

I have an import JPN PS3 (ceramic white 40gb model) which plays US/CA blu-rays (as the NA & JPN is on the same blu-ray coding of Region A) like a charm. However, w/ the exception of a few ‘region 0′ DVDs (or the ones that don’t secretly enforce the coding stated on the cover), I can’t play hardly any of my ‘region 1′ DVDs b/c my PS3’s DVD coding is still technically ‘region 2′.

DrWevil  |  April 16th, 2011 at 1:41 am

Hi
This morning mason not knowing put a region 1 disk in my au ps3 and it worked.
I know for a fact this disk is defiantly R1 its toy story 1 I brought years ago of ebay from the usa.

I have done no cracks to my ps3 but the firmware is up to date. I tried it on my other region 1 dvds and they all work too.

So thanks Sony i can now sell my blurry player.

I would have thought this was bigger news.

Alien-Hunter  |  September 25th, 2011 at 7:27 am

The whole DVD Region lock is pathetic. Whenever I see a DVD that I want to buy, if it’s Region 1 I simply download it instead. Or if I really want it, I buy it and copy it, and then make a few copies for mates. All because sony won’t make the PS3 Region Free. So yeah, well done sony with promoting piracy and whatnot ;)

flerchjj  |  July 4th, 2012 at 2:17 am

I currently live in Germany. I hate that I cannot buy a movie I see in the store and watch it on my PS3. Even if it isn’t region-locked I get a “PS3 doesn’t support PAL” error. I bought a $20 DVD player downtown and I can now watch any DVD. Region lock promotes piracy or makes people purchase a separate DVD player.

PDub0401  |  September 4th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

They should just remove all copy protection in general. Its just a waste of time and doesn’t actually stop anything. I have my entire DVD collection backed up on my PC, copy protection and region free.

SonicFan9111  |  January 23rd, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I want the same thing to happen. I want to import the ps2 port of haunted castle that was never ported to the states and my brother wants to import dream mix tv world fighters and we own the special edition MGS4 PS3 from the NTSC-U/C region that can load ps2 and ps1 discs and emulate them without the disc