Join Now   Login Select a Language: English   Visit Playstation.Blog.EU

Storage of Game Saves Online

Idea 313 | Posted in , by | March 17, 2010

If we were able to keep all, copy protected saves included, online on the PSN it would make those of us who play on multiple systems happy. Plus it would offer backup in case of hard ware failure.

It was announced on March 9, 2011 that PlayStation Network’s new online storage for game saves feature will give PlayStation Plus subscribers the capability to back up game save data to the cloud. http://bit.ly/e87Zbr

345 Comments  // 1 Reply //

Pages: 1 5 6 7

expunged1972  |  December 8th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

by all means i want to be able to backup my data, too much time goes into this game to lose it all.

snevets71  |  December 12th, 2010 at 7:48 am

i have 2 consoles my own and kids.it would nice when the main tv is being used to be able to play my favourite games on the other console but NO! saved data is copywrighted and cant tranfer between them.This was never an issue before on previous consoles!!!

riped  |  December 26th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

OH NO! My resident evil 5 data…. all my guns… all my points. :’( they were all maxed out…
NO!!!!1 My GTA4 data….whyyy???? No!!!
Darn you YLOD!
(Yes, I sent in my ps3 also. They format my HDD)
If we had this feature this would have been avoided.

Snake2410  |  December 26th, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I also lost all my save files, but mine was due to a complete HDD failture and I had probably 3,000+ hours worth of game save files on it and I hadn’t been prudent enough to back up my PS3, though I’d have lost many copy protected files anyways. Luckily I had a few of my really important saves backed up on my pc but none from the past year before it did it. Sucked bad.

KingMatt1982  |  December 27th, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Is someone forgetting the simple fact that we have paid for these games AND the consoles to play them on? Surely our 1 right is to have the one thing we have contributed and NOT had to pay for…….OUR TIME!!

Sort it out SONY!!!

Whats the point of ‘protecting’ a save from THE person thats actually created it???!!! Nice one!!!

Surely its up to us if we want our save data files protected or not???

Couldn’t care less about cheaters. I was always told “You get out of life what you put into it!” In this case it seems contradictory to the whole purpose of protecting the save data anyway. I’m not exactly being rewarded for NOT cheating am i???

JUST LOCK SAVES TO PSN ID AS EVERYONE ELSE SUGGESTS OR LET US DO IT MANUALLY ITS NOT YOUR DATA SONY!!!!!

VERY ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SP3333D-O  |  December 30th, 2010 at 11:26 am

Locked game saves are jeopardizing the enormous time investment we have made in numerous titles. This is detrimental to CUSTOMER LOYALTY, SOFTWARE SALES, and HARDWARE SALES. I regularly perform system backups after losing everything once, but not even this will help us (I am not the only gamer in the family) if the system dies and is replaced. I even considered purchasing an additional PS3 until I realized we would not be able to share our game progress on both systems. Trophies are fun, but they are not NEARLY as important as our saved progress. Copy protect your games, NOT OUR DATA! Online game saves would certainly be helpful, but I would also like to be able to use USB storage to move saves if an internet connection is not available.

Cloud_AC  |  January 11th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I would pay for Plus if they added this service.

grayguwapo  |  January 12th, 2011 at 4:06 am

please make this happen for everyone’s sake! it will give peace of mind that my save games which i invested so much time in has a back-up and i’m assured that at anytime things go wrong with my system, it’s there for me to retrieve… please make this happen sony! it’s the least you can do for your loyal customers…

drkcloud07  |  January 16th, 2011 at 4:22 am

yes!!! my ps3 got YLOD and i bought a new one but i had to start over on savings like fallout final fantasy which meant starting over on finishing trophies QQ

Achilles001  |  January 20th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

My 40GB PS3 had YLOD and so I bought a 160GB PS3 slim. I`m very happy with the system but it is a pain that I lost all of my progress on Fallout New Vegas, Gran Turismo, Black Ops, etc. I guess I should have backed it up but this would be a way better idea if it could work.

Draven71  |  January 24th, 2011 at 3:34 am

My hard drive crashed last night. Lost all my save files. I hadn’t done a back up in quite a while. We need Sony to create a method to backup save game files to an external hard drive so we can recover from such events. Or just remove all save game protections so we can back them out ourselves.

Enforcer_X  |  January 26th, 2011 at 7:54 am

Even if it was only for PS+ members that would be fine with me, however if it’s going to cost me it would need to auto sync to the cloud when connected online, but not require an online connection all the time to play games. See DropBox for how it should function, this also ties nicely into my PlayStation App Store idea utilizing the DropBox API for game save auto syncing backups, or build your own Sony.

hypersackboy  |  January 29th, 2011 at 3:22 am

It’s going to happen according to Hideo Kojima-san! Yay!

OldJimiDini  |  January 29th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

@ Sony:

Could you please also implement a MOVE into/out of the cloud for games like Demon’s Souls?

I bet Atlus will otherwise opt-out and if they don’t, it would actually break the game.

mfdestruction2a  |  February 1st, 2011 at 12:28 am

This should have definitely been a contingency put into action as soon as they found out that the YLOD was a common problem. I suffered the frustration of losing all of the data for my games. Some of them didn’t matter as I only played them online, if at all, but you never know if that desire to play those games would arise. I believe this to be a severe black eye that Sony inflicted upon itself and did nothing to correct. This coupled with the routine failure of the laser lenses could definitely driven loyal members of the community away.

Battlekat27  |  February 9th, 2011 at 9:58 pm

This is prob one of the best ideas out there. My GF definitely be happier with me if I played on the PS3 at her house instead of always wanting to go back to my house to play.

spanki543  |  February 10th, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I want this. But I want to make sure that EVERY game will have this feature. Especially if the game saved was previously ‘locked’ to a system. How frustrating! Lock them to PSN ID, not SYSTEM! Some of us have or want multiple PS3′s in our house.

lithium462  |  February 10th, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Cloud computing is the future and this will be one way to utilize it.

genaralmojo  |  February 16th, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Sony aleady said they are working on this, its called cloud saving or something and will be for all PLUS users

Beelzeboss-D  |  February 18th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

This is a dumb question and should be a definite yes. Why would anyone say no? Unless they want to hack, but then they’re just idiots.

LordKaiser00  |  February 19th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

@322

Cloud computer should be restricted and yes this is a good way to use it.

dareepa  |  February 20th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Having just lost my 60GB to YLOD, I couldn’t agree with this idea more. Thanks to the dready copy protected save files, I’ve lost countless hours of Demon’s Souls and Mass Effect 2. As previously stated, this would work fine with every save file being linked to a user’s PSN ID – not to the system’s ID.

GeneQuagmire  |  February 22nd, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Yeah, that’s already been announced.

I imagine it will be PSPlus exclusive. Almost justifies the price itself.

kdollz  |  February 22nd, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I wish I can vote for this million times :p
Got 2 PS3 at 2 different places, and transferring save games is definitely an issue. Sometimes I can’t play game that I like because of save game protection issue. Seriously, I wish we can use MMC like PS2 where we can just plug n play.

ZiggyMC  |  February 23rd, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I wanna see this 2. B/c 4 games like SVR2011 you can’t save the game files any other way then on the system. Once they’re gone, you’re pretty much starting over. This has happened to me as well, and it sucks to have to start EVERYTHING over. But I’m also on the fence; b/c there’s gonna be a way that someone someway screws this up for everyone.

Hackers Suck!

Psychoticcherry  |  February 28th, 2011 at 7:47 am

Nice idea. I have multiple ps3s in my home. I usually play games in the media room, but if someone is watching a movie I have to go the bedroom to play. Sucks having two separate game saves because I can’t move them.

DarkHarmonixer  |  March 8th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Stop Copy Prohibiting Saves. I did not buy Transformers War For Cybertron or Bayonetta for THIS VERY reason.

DarkHarmonixer  |  March 8th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I dont mind then locked to an Account like Dead Space 2 but STOP the copy prohibiting

paulcarrillo226  |  March 9th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

this is going to implanted in psn tomorow if your ps plus user

adolson  |  March 10th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I was able to back up my Demon’s Souls save! :D Thanks, Sony! This took WAY too long to solve, but I’m glad it’s finally here before my second loss of save files.

Faria1st  |  March 10th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Yay! I backed up Rock Band, Rock Band 2, Street Fighter IV and DJ Hero!

jamkhptk  |  March 13th, 2011 at 12:23 pm

They already have it if your a playstaition plus subscriber.And being one is worth it!

Shocking4U  |  March 14th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

it is now possible with playstation plus to store up to 150 mb online

VINNEAS  |  March 14th, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Shouldn’t this be moved to ideas in action now?

TECTRON  |  March 14th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

PlayStation Plus members only. It’s progress, but the ability to copy all game saves without issue should be a feature available to everyone for free. Copy protection should still be eradicated.

WCKidRock  |  March 15th, 2011 at 10:03 am

I like the fact that I can now copy all my saves (copy protected included). I for one think that PSN+ is great for this feature alone…mind you all of the free games and beta testing is great too, but if the price was a bit lower I would have paid for the storage and nothing else….might want to keep it in mind…say $20 per year for the feature (if you don’t want to get psn+)

Fabolous1earth  |  March 15th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Yeah it’ll probably be moved to ideas in action soon

UGA_Quicksilver  |  March 16th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I dont understand why cloud storage costs money. Why do only Playstation Plus subscribers get this feature? Plenty of places offer cloud storage for free. ie. Google and Ubuntu one. Keep being greedy sony.

Philious  |  March 16th, 2011 at 9:56 pm

@UGA_Quiksilver

If you want customer support buy Microsoft next time around $ony need to sort their act out and stop suing the world!

Pages: 1 5 6 7