Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
-75 rating, 281 votes-75 rating, 281 votes

-75
Score

Votes

PS3 Controllers on PS2

Idea 11972 | Posted in , by | April 6, 2010

If you cant add bc on PS3 for PS2 games, could you please release a USB dongle with bluetooth so we can use our sixaxis on ps2? (Trigger l2 r2 :))

31 Comments

mrfight67  |  April 6th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Thanks :)

I already have a PS2, i just wish i didn’t have to use trigger less wired buttons. (should’ve been the description)

COMBATCSOLDIER  |  April 6th, 2010 at 8:14 pm

hhhhmmmm…..

nah…. no brother dont see it working out.

sa3vis  |  April 7th, 2010 at 1:22 am

I think creating an entirely new dongle for that would cost them more then you going out and buying a ps2 controller. I’m guessing that the answer to your idea is…. No…

mrfight67  |  April 7th, 2010 at 2:47 am

I know that, but i just want a way of using my PS3 controller on my PS2.

JohnCritton  |  April 7th, 2010 at 2:07 pm

It’s not about having another Controller for the PS2, it’s about having a GOOD WIRELESS controller for the PS2. And not this 3rd Party crap you can buy today.
Sure, PS2 compatibility on the PS3 would be the best, but a PS3 like wireless controller for the PS2 would be good enough for me.

favian  |  April 7th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

how is this a bad idea? love it. i’d love a revised slim model that was compatible with bluetooth dualshocks. great.

mrfight67  |  April 8th, 2010 at 2:27 am

Probably because people who don’t have a PS2 just vote it down, because it won’t effect them.

COMBATCSOLDIER  |  April 8th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Its a waste. They are on the verge of releasing ps4 in 2012 and people still want ps2 stuff. Come on…. I own ps2 and ps3. there is no point in reverting backwards. Ps2 controls are fine the way they are. Now stop crying.

mrfight67  |  April 8th, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Who’s crying? Your crying because you want to neglect the still supported PS2. And there 0% proof there’s gonna be a PS4 as early as 2012

Nick_392  |  April 9th, 2010 at 12:16 am

how about the other way around having a adapter for the ps2 controllers to work with the ps3 so you don’t have to buy more controllers.

mrfight67  |  April 9th, 2010 at 1:26 am

@12 I think that already exists

JohnCritton  |  April 9th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Again: It’s not about saving some bucks for a new PS2 controller. It’s about having a great wireless controller for the PS2, and not that 3rd Party crap.

COMBATCSOLDIER  |  April 15th, 2010 at 1:32 am

Its a waste of time and money. Just buy a backwards compatable ps3 and then you can use ps3 controllers on ps2. PS2 is on its way out and is dead technology. I dont even use my ps2 anymore cause its so worthless compared to ps3, My ps3 does everything already and upgrades the ps2 graphics.

Besides that no one is going to waste time or money on developing technology for a system that will be dead in less then a year. There is only maybe one ps2 game coming out a month and its only games that are also coming out for nintendo….

Wireless doesnt really matter and isnt that big of a deal. Besides that they sell wire extenders and adaptors.

I use to have an adaptor that made my control have an extra ten feet. Then an adaptor that also allowed me to play with my ps2 control on the original xbox.

So ps2 is done. Hardly anyone cares about it anymore. It had a good ten year run and now its time to move on. Give her a kiss and put her in a closet or time capsule.

Have a nice day and a happy new year, and remember to say CHEEEESSSEEE on the photo.

mrfight67  |  April 15th, 2010 at 3:07 am

Actually, it’s still supported, and will be for at least a couple more years, since alot of kids have them. Plus, it has a massive back catalogue of over 5000 games, alot of them classics that this-gen games would only dream of being. And the 60GB PS3 is no longer manufactured, and the ones available have a high chance of getting ylod, so it’s not worth getting one, especially as i already have a PS3 and a PS2.

You’ve got to remember that only because you no longer care about PS2, others don’t. I own every playstation console, and they all get played regularly. In fact, i brought a PS2 game yesterday.

COMBATCSOLDIER  |  April 15th, 2010 at 2:37 pm

@16

You are absolutely right brother in terms of what you said. However the ps2 in japan sports over 10,000 games. THe ps2 is the greatest system of all time and that is hands down a fact.

Yes about the YLOD on the old fat ps3′s it did happen to me. As a matter of fact I went out and bought a slim just because….

I respect what you said and how you said it. You show honor and respect in your debate and for that I am grateful.

My opinion though is where it stands on the whole control issue, however you still have earned my respect and understanding. God Bless you and if you want to then by all means, send me friend request via psn.

TubaDude49  |  April 17th, 2010 at 6:48 pm

This is why I bought a 60 gig.

mrfight67  |  April 18th, 2010 at 4:01 am

@17 Thanks for understanding, at least i now know your not one of those people that go: ‘PS2 sux buy a PS3 u noob MW2 da best!!!’. I would rather them put PS2 b/c on slims and other PS3s, but this is also a alternative :)

COMBATCSOLDIER  |  April 19th, 2010 at 6:34 am

@19 no brother. I hate mw2 online and all that bs. I am a god of war kinda guy with a fistful of athenas vengeful blades lol

mrfight67  |  April 19th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

@20 you have my respect then :D

Mango_Scango  |  April 25th, 2010 at 11:32 am

As great as it would be, its not a good idea.

There’d have to be a lot of tech in the dongle to convert the Dualshock 3 down to Dualshock 2. And for that matter, how would you distinguish weather you want to control the PS3, or the PS2? It would end up being more of a hassle than it’s worth.

Not to mention that it would only detect L2/R2 as pressed with you have fully depressed them, which sucks.

sorry

FJ1100_rider  |  June 2nd, 2010 at 7:09 pm

just getting the ps2 to use bluetooth would require more than a dongle so I doubt it’s practical to think a ps3 controller is an option .
look how hard just getting a wireless i/r controller to work well with a ps2 is and imagine how much harder to try enabling bluetooth through a tiny usb device .

I’ll say it’s a good thought but not likely and most ps2 games probably couldn’t use it as you want to anyway because of the different coding .

boneyardweller89  |  June 6th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

OWNERDEATHBRING  |  June 18th, 2010 at 8:58 am

Hey man I respect your suggestion but I don’t think its the right idea I think that all of you backing this idea should back the PS2 software emulation for PS3 because there is a better chance of SONY investing in that idea then in developing an entirely new piece of equipment for the PS2, I feel your pain there is nothing I would like more then being able to play my beloved Jak & Daxter games again but since my PS2 died I am not up to purchasing another one being a gamer on budget

Gamewizard71  |  July 17th, 2010 at 12:55 am

go buy a converter online problem solved!!!

Techni  |  December 14th, 2010 at 12:44 am

“go buy a converter online problem solved!!!”

No such thing exists

Techni  |  December 14th, 2010 at 12:44 am

“The Dualshock 3 is Exactly the same as the Dualshock 2 except that the triggers are different and it’s wireless… and this dongle would require you to play wired anyway. It’s just not feasable.”

Yes it is feasible. Just build the dongle.

megaloman1a  |  January 28th, 2011 at 10:56 pm

i think the idea is not too farfetched. Just having a wireless control for those of us who dont have a ps3 and which when bought even used games cant compare to the demand. You all very well know the price gap between ps2 and ps3 titles when it comes to used. Hey have a little faith and cut some corners by not having to buy new controlers for a system and a headset when already obtained. We just all want to avoid hassles in tough times like ours.

dancingmind  |  September 27th, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Don’t know why you people all think it’s so hard to pull off. When i plug my Dualshock 3 into my mac (via USB) all the buttons immediately work for games.

Building a dongle to make it wireless would be awesome for my PS2 and my Mac. I think it’s a great idea!

person101  |  September 1st, 2012 at 11:11 pm

This wouldnt take nothing to do especially since they have thumbnail size bluetooth usb devices now and you should be able to set it up like ps3 where you have to plug in by usb to sync with the ps2 so it doesn’t control ps3 at same time. And as for controls the dongle would have code on it to rewrite controls to match the control settings for game.