Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
114 rating, 122 votes114 rating, 122 votes

+114
Score

Votes

ps3 tracking

Idea 7348 | Posted in by | April 11, 2010

your ps3 gets stolen most likely you will never see it again and with software installed as soon as the thiefs use the internet it gets the ip address and sends it to police

12 Comments

Lord_Orpheo  |  April 12th, 2010 at 2:43 am

This would be a hot anti-theft feature for the PS3; good thinking. HINT Sony: This is a feature that could be part of a premium service. ;)

Techni  |  April 12th, 2010 at 4:14 am

“HINT Sony: This is a feature that could be part of a premium service. ;)”

Don’t be an idiot.

Techni  |  April 12th, 2010 at 4:17 am

Also, they should do this for ANY device that uses PSN. (ie: PSP)

djnealb  |  April 12th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

This would have been extremely helpful when mine was stolen. I even asked Sony if there was a way to do this and they told me there wasn’t. I wish I could vote on this more than once. I want to vote +1 on this a million times!

FJ1100_rider  |  April 12th, 2010 at 2:50 pm

a useful feature but unfortunately because of the laws protecting your i isp from liability and privacy concerns only a police warrant could access the ip address of the alleged thief .
it’s nearly impossible to get the police to do anything to find your ps3 especially if they just format the system and create a new account .
I vote +1 but it’s unlikely
personally I would rather track them by embedded gps chip and recover it myself ( after beating the crap out of them )

SkyNet003  |  April 14th, 2010 at 2:38 pm

@2 “Don’t be an idiot.”

You don’t be a jerk. Do you think insulting people like that is gonna take you somewhere?

shaykrethashke  |  April 20th, 2010 at 6:56 am

well whether is easy to do or not, the idea is here!

@5 there is one thing (at least) that a thief cannot change on your ps3 even if he remove the disk, it’s the MAC address of the network card that is unique in the world.
I also suspect Sony to have an internal hardware ID burned into the PS3 sothat the tracking would be more efficient. each time your PS3 would connect, it would send those hardware ID and if the PS3 has been set “stolen” the PS3 would shutdown, deactivate or like some proposed before enter stealth mode to spy the thieve and know who and where he is. If it’s done and the info is spread, thieves would less likely steal this because the PS3 would become useless!
(credit card, cell phone, cars, computers, all these products already have such protection)

omf  |  July 7th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Had my PS3 stolen recently and was very frustrated that the information for where my PS3 was taken to was in the hands of Sony, but I couldn’t get to it.

If nothing else, it should be possible to report your PS3 stolen and have it permanently blocked from use on PSN.

evanisovich  |  July 21st, 2010 at 9:48 pm

My PS3 was stolen today after someone broke into my house. So, is there a way to report a stolen PS3 to SCEA even after you’ve had the police notified?
I have the serial number – is there a way that Sony can locate the MAC address?

gt90v12  |  August 19th, 2010 at 7:15 pm

As I had just recently suggest, that a BIOS password ability be used to boot the unit. If the thief doesn’t know it, obviously they have a brick on their hands, also the ability to call Sony and report the unit stolen, once it reconnects to the Playstation Network it could be disabled, finally have the unit removed from your account so it doesn’t count against the five registered units.

cuz_chimp_choker  |  August 30th, 2010 at 8:51 pm

good idea but if you have the serial written down tell sony and they could block it or possibly track it

SukiNihon  |  November 30th, 2010 at 3:51 am

“You don’t be a jerk”

You could start.

Only jerks would suggest features for PSN+