Join Now   Login Select a Language: English   Visit Playstation.Blog.EU

211 rating, 227 votes211 rating, 227 votes

+211
Score

Votes

PS2 playback + XMB/PSN

Idea 15016 | Posted in by | April 21, 2010

When I play PS2 games, I still want to be connected to the “Playstation Network/Community,” so if my friends want to hop on another game they can still message me and see that I’m online.

12 Comments

JM761  |  April 21st, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I would love this feature, but I’m not sure how possible it is. I would even like it to show what PS2 game we’re playing, or at minimum show the game icon and text “Playstation 2 Title” just to show what we’re up to. Same for PS1 games.

+1 though.

SSJStarwind16  |  April 22nd, 2010 at 12:48 am

Oh My God, YES! These are Ideas that Sony should listen to! This is one of the better Ideas I have seen on here and you also have a really great +% so congrats.

Techni  |  April 23rd, 2010 at 1:19 am

“but I’m not sure how possible it is.”

I don’t know why people who know next to nothing keep asking that. Of course it’s possible. It’s not like PS2 games use all of PS3′s processing power, since PS2 hardware does it. And we know PS3′s hardware is still running since it handles upscaling.

liquidypoo  |  April 23rd, 2010 at 3:36 am

It’s definitely not possible to display what PS2 game you’re playing, though. The coding was never written with having the game’s name displayed somewhere in mind. Even if there was a file somewhere on the disc that had the game’s name as the title, there’s no guarantee it would be nice and clean looking: “Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty” vs. “mgs2.ps2″ for example.

boneyardweller89  |  April 27th, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I’m not sure it’s possible either. XBox 360 is the same way with XBox games. It’s probably not a matter of processing power, but the code on the disk.

Kitsu_Hiroyume  |  May 5th, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I’ve been wanting this for FOREVER definately a plus yo

Insomnia999  |  May 20th, 2010 at 11:38 am

@4

whatever works. but having some functionality to stay connected to PSN would be great! Small features like this help round out the system and build the community.

Techni  |  May 21st, 2010 at 8:54 pm

“It’s definitely not possible to display what PS2 game you’re playing, though.”

It is. Each game has a unique ID code. Sony could just have the PS3 look up that ID code

KnightSpawner  |  July 11th, 2010 at 8:15 pm

i would love to see mortal kombat armagedon on the ps3

tacticalBACON  |  August 27th, 2010 at 3:27 pm

VERY YES. The PS3 should NOT have to exit the XMB and sign out to play PS2 games or DVDs. I have heard that PS3 stays online while playing PS1 games, so it’s definitely not a processing power issue. You can do it, Sony! Make it happen!