Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
126 rating, 236 votes126 rating, 236 votes

+126
Score

Votes

Upgrade PS3 to USB 3.0

Idea 29625 | Posted in , by | August 10, 2010

Sony needs to upgrade/update the USB 2.0 to the NEW USB 3.0 which is 4.8Gb/s compared to the old 2.0@480Mb/s. This would be great for large movies on an external HD, large photos or data.

27 Comments

Mike3e_US  |  August 10th, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I can’t see benefits in examples you’ve provided. USB 2.0 is more than enough for watching movies in 1080p and playing slide shows. Do you really want to tell me that you watch videos with bitrate higher than 480 Mb/s – even with that resolution 2hr movie would take 7200 MB. For this magnitude of details you have BR player in PS3

zekececil14  |  August 10th, 2010 at 5:17 pm

@1
Oh shut up! The benifits should be common sense! Data can transfer faster, it wont take long to upload stuff to or from devices, and it keeps the PS3 in with current technology. I don’t see why people hate this, it can’t hurt you, it would just be in the next firmware update. You all need to go to hëll if you down-voted!

Alestes  |  August 10th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I agree with Mike3e_US, this suggestion is pointless. USB 2.0 can handle 1080p easily and even if USB 3.0 existed, the speed wouldn’t really be any noticeably faster because the hard drives aren’t close of reaching the USB 3.0 speed.

zekececil14, if you think this is just a firmware update, you’re very much mistaken. It will require a new hardware and a new PS3 model.

Nettacki01  |  August 10th, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I’d support it if it was as simple as a software update. But it’s not, so I downvoted it.

Wait until the next PS generation, if possible.

Nettacki01  |  August 10th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Unless of course you mean releasing another PS3 SKU with USB 3.0 built in. In that case…I’m still not in support of it. Not yet anyway.

rougegoat  |  August 10th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

@2, you do realize that it’s a complete hardware change to get USB 3.0 out, right? The hardware is completely different, which forces a change of motherboard, which forces plenty of other changes. Read, higher price or Sony stops making any money again.

Pharen  |  August 10th, 2010 at 10:48 pm

@2 whoa, no need for the outburst. and besides, to upgrade the PS3, to USB 3.0, it would require either a mass recall of PS3′s or a new model, both of which ideas, are not cost effective. maybe they will when they think up the next PS design but you will have to wait for now.

zekececil14  |  August 11th, 2010 at 1:30 am

@3-7
You guys need to do some research. I did before i posted (duh, outbursts need backup) and found that they can/could do this via firmware update. They technology nowadays just keeps amazing me!

zekececil14  |  August 11th, 2010 at 1:47 am

Heres some data

The beauty of USB 3.0 is its backward compatibility with USB 2.0; you need a new cable of course (one that supports USB 3.0) to achieve USB 3.0 speeds, but you can still use the device on a USB 2.0 port. In reducing some overhead requirements of USB (now, the interface only transmits data to the link and device that need it, so devices can go into low power state when not needed), the new incarnation now uses one-third the power of USB 2.0.

Happy now?

Mike3e_US  |  August 11th, 2010 at 5:01 am

Do you even understand what backward compatibility mean? Look it up in dictionary and then return. Firmware update cannot magically change USB 2.0 devices into USB 3.0…

Alestes  |  August 11th, 2010 at 10:37 am

zekececil14, the backwards compability just means that USB 3.0 hardware can communicate with USB 2.0 hardware by lowering the speed.

So if you connect USB 3.0 hardware with USB 3.0 hardware, you get USB 3.0 speed. And if you connect USB 3.0 hardware with USB 2.0 hardware, you get USB 2.0 speed.

It doesn’t mean that the USB 2.0 hardware is magically transformed into USB 3.0 hardware.

Lord_Orpheo  |  August 11th, 2010 at 11:00 am

I didn’t vote plus or minus, but I’d say just to hold-off till PS4 for this.

Superstrokey1123  |  August 11th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Downvoted, no need for this on the PS3 as nothing will use it at this time. Just leave it for the PS4 or what ever.

itsJose  |  August 11th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

It would be fantastic but thats gonna change the PS3 slightly enough to go through FCC again. I can see them doing that probably in a couple years when a lot more devices have USB 3.0 enabled.

KNRasengan  |  August 11th, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Maybe the PS4 or the new PS3 versions. I’d enjoy it somewhat. Plus the PS3 should get Wireless N while they’re at it.

zekececil14  |  August 11th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

That data I provided is a straight up copy and paste. Dont blame me because I didnt write it, im just spreading it. You know I didnt even vote, so dont get your panties in a bunch.

Alestes  |  August 12th, 2010 at 12:48 am

@zekececil14

I don’t blame you for writing it. I’m blaming you for spreading and copy&paste something that irrelevant to what you’re try prove.

It mentioned nothing about USB 2.0 hardware being upgraded to USB 3.0 hardware with a firmware update, and why? Because it’s impossible.

zekececil14  |  August 12th, 2010 at 9:20 am

@17
Just drop it. I was mistaken by something I read on the internet, whats new? Im sorry I had faith that something on the internet was true. I guess I should of listened to Kevin Butler.

xxnike629xx  |  August 15th, 2010 at 1:35 pm

They can’t. Then they would need to redo the hardware, and putting in USB 3.0 hardware would probably jack up the price a little bit on the PS3.

Besides, USB 2.0 is perfectly fine.

And to those who think you can upgrade it via software, well then think again. USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. It does so by lowering the 3.0 transfer speed rate to that of the 2.0′s.

swordzmanp236  |  August 16th, 2010 at 2:08 am

Nice idea, so I put in an upvote.

However, USB 3.0 is so fresh that only a very few mobos on the PC side have it–mostly enthusiast-class stuff from the Tier 2 guys like GigaByte. Indeed, very few USB 3.0 drives exist in the wild. Apple won’t yet build it in, nor any Windows OEM until prices for the gear drop significantly and more real-world tests prove its value to the consumer. For now, though, major outlets have proven only modest gains over the de facto USB 2.0

FireWire 800 would also represent a marked improvement, as would the future “S3200″ but again, very few storage devices deploy it. With Apple as its creator, licensing must be paid to the company for each design implementation of the protocol. As Sony and Apple compete directly in the PC hardware space, it won’t happen. In fact, Sony tried using FW400 as a linking mechanism for the PS2–nobody gave a damn, and so it was dropped from all units after the 30000 series fats.

And like DVD, most you run into on the street know what USB 2.0 is and how to use it. Long as something works, why mess around?

iWannaVerbUrNoun  |  August 17th, 2010 at 2:31 am

ok you cant just make something a lot faster like that by updating the software. if we could i would just update my slow computer to make it super fast. but it doesnt work like that. sony will need to make new ps3 models with new hardware.

QUINTISON  |  August 21st, 2010 at 12:58 pm

While i love the idea i wonder if new firmware same hardware would work because if that were true then where’s my wireless n support.

It’d be like asking a launch 360 to firmware update to hdmi when the port wasn’t on the motherboard.

I could be wrong and if it’s possible great but we might need new slims for that.

Mango_Scango  |  August 28th, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Its pointless. good for PS4, not 3. It would only be effective for new hardware models anyway.

Not to mention finding a USB 3.0 complaint device isn’t exactly simple

abd_1995  |  January 1st, 2011 at 7:19 am

what the hell is the problem if we JUST asked
for better?
are you afried of downloading an update because it may takes too long?
we said latest java scripts you people said NO.
we said re-enabing OtherOS you people said NO.
we said Arabic language you people said NO.
DON’T YOU WANT THE IMPROVMENTS AND SUPER TECH?
and when the hel they’re going to make ps4?
maybe untill some hackers make copies of BD PS3 games. they did, I know. but it’s too prisy
to buy empty BDs and…etc
those copis may cost about 10 to 30 USDs
WAKE UP PEOPLE, JUST FOR GOD’S SAKE.
OR YOU DON’T LIKE GOD TOO.

Kchow23  |  July 2nd, 2011 at 4:15 am

they wouldn’t recall anything… IF they even decided to do this. They would release a new PS3 with this installed. So this is something that may go into a PS4.

N216330440  |  December 18th, 2012 at 1:20 pm