Join Now   Login Select a Language: English   Visit Playstation.Blog.EU

Turn off the blue Eye light in Accessories

Idea 40072 | Posted in , by | January 6, 2011

I don’t use my Eye constantly and it would be great to able to to turn it off under Options, Accessories from the XMB. It’s really annoying while watching videos.

18 Comments Add your own

liquidypoo  |  January 6th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

If you don’t use it constantly, then can’t you just unplug it?

DanteGC  |  January 6th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I agree, if you are going to the trouble to go through the settings to turn it off then just unplug it.

ODINGameslayer  |  January 6th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Why would you ever wanna turn off a light? Tiny colored lights on things are cool! The more you have, the better your setup is.

Everybody knows that.

Gnordy  |  January 6th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Good idea. Now that I am using the Eye more with Move, it is usually connected, but that blue light is distracting when we are watching a movie.

FORMIK  |  January 7th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Decent idea, but this isn’t something that can be updated through a patch.

Kiwidust  |  January 8th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I agree – the PS3 is a home entertainment device and should be a good home theater citizen.

“Unplugging it” is kind of a ridiculous suggestion… it’s a solution, but a kludge at best. If you HAVE to unplug – sure, but if you can get the same result automatically, why not?

It may not be possible due to hardware issues but very likely could be. If nothing else if the PS3 simply “disconnects” from the Eye (this is part of the USB standard as far as I know) then reconnects later it should work. If nothing else a hardware revision could definately provide the feature going forward.

Why bother have it powered up if it’s not being used?

ODINGameslayer  |  January 11th, 2011 at 10:51 am

@7: Because-AGAIN- lights are COOL!!!!

barnaclejoe  |  January 12th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

It is an annoyingly bright light… I agree with the idea-creator.. it should turn off when not in use, or something..

Personally, I’ve put a piece of tape over the light on my camera so I don’t have to see it anymore.

JustAnotherAndy  |  January 16th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

An option in the XMB settings where it turns on when you’re playing a game that has Eye compatability, and then turns off when you’re not (eg watching a video, internet etc.) would be quite cool.

ODINGameslayer  |  January 17th, 2011 at 9:19 am

I propose MORE lights. I want a USB attachment that does nothing but provide tiny, blinking lights in different colors on the front of my PS3.

intel16  |  February 2nd, 2011 at 9:12 am

It should simply turn off after a time of inactivity of which the user can set the amount of time before it turns off.

MastaDamage  |  February 6th, 2011 at 2:54 pm

lights are soooo olo skool, nowadays silent but violent is the way to go. Got Class? :)

Phoenix7469  |  February 20th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Unplug it and when you’re ready to use it then plug it back in, no registering needed.

myGUNisLOADED  |  March 3rd, 2011 at 11:09 pm

The camera should turn off automatically when it IS NOT in use. I’m sure Sony can do it through an update. C’mon Sony, don’t be that lazy.

spectrum2008  |  September 27th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

yeah that thing blinds me, the move controler blinds me too well we have to live with those lights

McCurse  |  September 27th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

yeah, i like to have it turn off too. However, the blue light is not what’s bugging me. It is the privatcy issue. Think about it, your ps eye is always on, and your ps3 is alway connected to internet. Which means that your camara feed could be constantly uploading onto the internet,provided that your system been hacked or what not. Now can the system be hacked?? Well, PSN been hacked and ton of account info been stealten. So… yeah the possibility is there.

shervinvan  |  June 25th, 2012 at 12:43 am

Umm, okay ppl why not just put a piece of electrical tape on it? Lol or just turn the bloody thing so that the light isn’t facing you… Sometimes the simple solution isn’t hardware or software related at all :p