Join Now   Login Select a Language: English   Visit Playstation.Blog.EU

Add “Friend Challenges” to PS3 games

Idea 42136 | Posted in , by | February 2, 2011

Similar to trophies, but give you rewards. Select a challenge and a friend, and they can accept/reject. Example: “Beat [friend’s name]’s best time.”

8 Comments Add your own

kNoWlEdGe22  |  February 2nd, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Sounds very similar to “Autolog” in NFS: Hot Pursuit…

Szamal  |  February 3rd, 2011 at 6:06 am

@1

yup. but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea and i would like to see that kind of thing in more games. however it’s rather up to developers not sony

kNoWlEdGe22  |  February 3rd, 2011 at 5:40 pm

@2 – I voted ‘up’ – didn’t say it was a bad idea… just trying to get some clarification on the idea that boneyardweller89 was putting forth…

boneyardweller89  |  February 3rd, 2011 at 8:20 pm

@3 Yes I was thinking of something much like that, except integrated into the PSN, where accomplishing these challenges would award you in-game items or credit for the PS Store or whatever. You could go any direction with it, really, but there would be some sort of reward involved, otherwise they’re basically just trophies.

Kiwidust  |  February 4th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I like this.

It may be complicatd in practice. Seems like boosting/cheating could be a problem – but as long as the rewards are reasonable (to valuable and boosting would ruin it, too cheap and nobody would do it) I think it could work.

Of course there’s also an option to automate this – that might be even more effective. Like (I assume) most folks I have a bunch of “friends” that I just don’t interact with.

It would be opt in (of course) but if I got messages periodically telling me that I’d beaten/bested friends (or vice versa) – as opposed to specifically signing up for each and every one – I think it would be cool.

darknightgotham  |  February 7th, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Some games have it already, mostly the multiplayer ones or any game with leader boards probably has a filter for “my friends”, integrating it to the PSN on the other side, is a whole different thing.

ortizcrazydanny3  |  March 30th, 2011 at 12:07 am

we should get 2 award when it is our birthday for each game

OBMOC  |  April 28th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

The creation of Trophies last gen created a meta game that was fun for completionist. Game developers took note and started including “challenges” in their games. EA even went so far as creating a system called auto log that promoted competition between friends.

On the PS4 there should be a universal auto log style system that promotes competition between friends across all PS4 games. An info feed should relay to players what their friends have accomplished and ask them to do better. It should also promote daily, weekly, and monthly challenges and reward player’s that reach milestones with Loyalty rewards. Things like themes, badges for their profile, new profile pics, and even PS points.

This system wouldn’t replace the trophy system it would augment it with a set of ongoing competitions. Players would still be able to achieve a perfect 100% completion on a title.

Example 1: Friend A has earned the platinum trophy in Killzone Shadowfall. Why haven’t you?

Example2 : Friend B has beat your previous score of 225,000 on Level 1 of Knack with a score of 275,000.

Weekly Challenge: Get a total of 250 Kills in Witcher 3