Join Now   Login Select a Language: English   Visit Playstation.Blog.EU

492 rating, 512 votes492 rating, 512 votes

+492
Score

Votes

Gift a PSN game to a friend

Idea 50719 | Posted in by | September 14, 2011

I want to gift a game to a friend (purchase it for him and have the redemption link appear in his inbox) Happy Birthday!

28 Comments

Unseen_Soul  |  September 14th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Just like the Wii Shop channel does. It’d be perfect

Permafry_42  |  September 14th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Great idea! maybe people will stop game sharing if this is implemented!

Majin47  |  September 15th, 2011 at 1:48 am

Good idea, but Sony is likely worried of someone getting a hold of someone else’s account info and sending money/gifts to their account.

SPINAL133  |  September 15th, 2011 at 7:06 am

That is a good idea, although i could risk getting hacked.

ODINGameslayer  |  September 15th, 2011 at 8:25 am

Idea has been submitted already, but voting up anyway. It’s a good one.

favian  |  September 15th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Hasn’t been submitted already, the other idea was to send money to someone else’s wallet. The distinction here is that I am purchasing a specific game for someone as opposed to just sending them money.

liquidypoo  |  September 18th, 2011 at 4:55 am

Majin, I don’t really think that’s an issue. It takes one phonecall for the victim to say, “Hey, I didn’t send those gifts,” and all of a sudden there’s money refunded to the victim, and a jerk with games that don’t work due to invalidated licenses and hopefully a banned PSN ID.

tbclycan  |  September 19th, 2011 at 9:14 pm

When the recommendation came out, I was like. “What if we had gifting like Steam?” so I really hope this could get in there.

BAMF_WaS03  |  September 20th, 2011 at 10:29 am

uhh its called “account sharing”

Kung_Fu_King  |  September 20th, 2011 at 10:15 pm

@10
uh , wrong
account sharing is a violation of psn terms of service , it is basically piracy and theft

this option would be legal , although it has been submitted before
they do this on the Wii , you buy a game in the Wii shop and gift it , then the friend accepts within 90 days to download it or if not ot he rejects it your money is refunded

it would be easier than buying a friend a psn card but t

Kung_Fu_King  |  September 20th, 2011 at 10:17 pm

WTF ? I was not finished and it posted

as I was saying , a psn card allows the friend to buy whatever he wants so you can easily buy a card and send the code to his account to redeem now , I have done this twice

SnDin9  |  October 4th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Very good idea! I know Steam does it as well, never even thought about it on the PSN though haha. I support this idea 100%

dotGabZ  |  November 24th, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Great idea for sure!! Voted!!

Emerald_Swords  |  December 21st, 2011 at 4:49 am

Very good idea, would be extremely useful!

AlacrityFitz  |  January 27th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It would make getting something for my kids a little easier that is for sure. More personal then just getting them a PSN card.

It should be fairly easy to do

thataussiebloke  |  March 2nd, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’ve wanted this ever since I signed up, basically. As some people have said above, refund support would be needed, in the case where the recipient chooses not to accept the gift, or it times out. Maybe this is an overhead Sony aren’t willing to add?

In any case I think it would also reduce the amount of account sharing going on, as those sharers who are trying to legitimately gift games to others could now do it ‘legally’.

Karvahl  |  April 13th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Steam has it, so why PSN doesn’t need it?

TheRatch  |  April 24th, 2012 at 10:29 am

I would by a lot more stuff. I have friends that can’t afford little life perks like PSN games and it would be a great way to bless them!

sk8allday25  |  June 30th, 2012 at 10:45 am

sony start doing something about these great ideas! i feel like this share.blog is not even getting attention anymore.

Fnook  |  July 27th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This really should be a part of the PSN. Other digital distribution services have offered this for years now (Steam. And quite frankly, this would encourage even more PSN sales.

Ben7072  |  August 30th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’d like to throw my hat into the ring as well for this feature. A complete stranger just p.m.’d me, begging me to please “game-share” Walking Dead: Episode 3 with him. While I appreciate the game-sharing feature that y’all have implemented, I don’t feel comfortable getting that intimate with a complete stranger (In fact, I only feel comfortable enough to game-share with family members). To be honest, I kind of feel bad for the guy; while I have some doubts about whether or not he can afford $5, I was going to go ahead and gift him episode three. Unfortunately, it seems I can’t do that. Please add this feature; it’s a lot safer than game-sharing.

RE_Player  |  September 27th, 2012 at 11:38 am

I would love a feature like this.

Londonstani  |  November 27th, 2012 at 11:17 am

This feature would be great.

I’ve just been gifting games through Steam over the Fall Sale 2012. I bought Witcher 2 for a friend for 7.49 and that same friend gifted me Torchlight II from a fourpack for 7.49 each.

So we both bought games just because we can gift each other things.

This is a great way to increase sales and increase people’s interactions with PSN in general.

Make it happen Sony/Grace Chen/PSN team!

Crylos  |  December 30th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I love this idea, I wanted to gift Borderlands 2 DLC to a friend that I play online with. This could have been a much easier and convenient way to give it to him.

Warblades1972  |  October 14th, 2013 at 8:39 pm

This is a great idea and only would boost sales for the psn , it has done a great job on steam , I prob gift several games a year during the steam summer sale to friends as gifts