Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU
13 rating, 16,766 votes13 rating, 16,766 votes

+13,252
Score

16,766
Votes

Can we change our psn username

Idea 57242 | Posted in by | July 20, 2012

Can we change our username instead of making a new acc where we dont have our trophys and multiplayer game saves. Maybe you can charge us ten dollars(us dollars) for every change we make?

1,303 Comments

Pages: 1 2 3 27

Nintendo451  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Look at my PSN ID.

Exactly.

I didn’t do it out of spite or anything, I just didn’t have any other sort of nickname when I created this account in June 2008. I never played online games before, but now it’s becoming a bigger part of my PS3 experience.

I’m actually made fun of a lot during matches. Nothing hurtful, but it gets old after a while. I am willing to pay a one-time fee to change my ID to something else.

METLGEAR  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

No i say! Just create a new one thats why they are free! If people go changing their name we would have people on our list we did not recognize! Imagine if i was your friend and all of the sudden i changed my name to something else. How would you know? You would just look at your list and think, “Who is that?”

StuntF50  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:40 pm

That’s the reason for the fee. People aren’t going to be doing it like crazy.

dotCody  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Ugh, no. I don’t want to sign in and see all of these random people who I don’t know, it’ll become a pain in the ass. Trust me.

dragonleader33  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

How many people on your friend list would be willing to pay for the service dotCody? I would like to at least make the D in my name capital…what can I say…I want it capital now!

DR-IVO  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Great idea especially if its just a small fee. I know many people who would like this. People wouldnt abuse it if they have to pay. Maybe a limit how often to change, once a hour, day or month make sense. that way it doesnt put too much stress on the database and people abuse it if its a low price.

djsinistral  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

i with you. id paid 20$ to change my name not lose my trophies. sony please take my money.

tdh004  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I guess it could have a few uses. I guess put a $5 fee on it, and make it a ONE TIME ONLY option.

pelagato24  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I really would like to change my ID D=

ExGhost888  |  March 17th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

YES!!! i know people willing to change their ID for a small fee

DeadSpider  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Don’t know about that… people would prob abuse it to harass others. Quick name change and they go poof with less chance of being held responsible for their actions.

Go to report RANDOMPSNID and it’s not a valid ID anymore.

evildude683  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:38 pm

OMG, kids will be creating new PSN ID’s every day! no to mention ppl who are already banned!

Anihl8r  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Changing your ID should be free… but only to be done once per year.

bgenius  |  March 17th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I think this is a cool idea. For friends to know you changed your name, they should receive an automated message saying “so so changed their name to _____ “

Darth_Apprentice  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

PLEASE let us do this Sony.

Add a fee for it ($10 like on Xbox Live), I don’t mind paying.

WoWix100  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I can’t see any reason for why this couldn’t work, if the service had a $10 fee. As bgenius said, an automated message to everyone in the person’s friend list would eliminate any confusion. Also, on the person’s profile page, it could say something like “formerly known as_____.”

I might get bored of my ID eventually; let me pay to change it.

coldcat  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I really want to just change my id coldcat to Coldcat. Frustrates me that I never capitalised the first letter when I set up my account. If there’s someone out there with the power to do so that would be great.

ShinobiTheNinja  |  March 17th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

To add on to bgenius’ suggestion, I also think their old name should be linked to them. Let’s say bgenius changed his name to IamAShinobiFan ;) So then if I were to try to add bgenius to my friends list manually, a notification would appear that said “bgenius’s screenname has been changed to IamAShinobiFan.” That should eliminate any confusion from name changes.

romar10  |  March 17th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

look at my PSN

at least i want to have all capital letters. i didnt knew that they would showed up lowercase

SPOPS  |  March 17th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Make it an option as to where you can only change your name ever 3,6,9 or 12 months. I would like to change my name. Everyone is always like what is a SPOPS, or they just end up calling me pops… I have had the name since the PS3′s launch and I would really like to change it. If it were not for all of my trophies I would have changed it a long time ago.

JACKTASTIC09  |  March 17th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

fantastic idea, I really hope this happens!

syk1288  |  March 17th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I agree with bgenius and Anihl8r.

We need this. I want to change my PSN ID name.

HarveyyBirdmann  |  March 17th, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Please add this Sony!
Would love it!

KoRn555  |  March 17th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

i was just thinking about this last night! i would gladly pay for this service!

SnoopYTimes  |  March 17th, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Vote UP! My I’m tired of my PSN ID. But I have Level 13 in trophies. This would be great.

Dandonian  |  March 17th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I was with you right until you said

“we pay a small fee”

There’s just no reason to charge for such a service, though I do think an appropriate limit of “twice per month” could be applied.

ChocoboJoseph  |  March 17th, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I don’t mind paying a fee to get this changed. I picked my nick name kind of on a whim because I couldn’t think of anything else at the time. I’ve changed my gaming handle everywhere else, but am stuck with this on PSN.

TKO236  |  March 17th, 2010 at 8:57 pm

They really need to add this I’d pay money if I have to,to change my ID

RagingRaven874  |  March 17th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

works perfectly on xbox so why not do it on psn it creates good revenue and everyone gets to enjoy a change

DerbyManiacB  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Smart idea! It would be awesome to have a service on PSN that allow us to change our PSN name time to time, IF we wanted to change our name, for a small fee. And a message will be sent to every1 on that person’s friends list saying (__ changed to __)

kingpsyz  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Do this, but forget the fee garbage. Japanese PSN allows for nickname changes.

x_Nico_x  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

yes please…and I don’t think a small fee is ridiculous.

kurikuri77  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I can’t believe idiots are voting against this idea. It should be no.1!

PETElicious  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:45 pm

This NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!!!!

You people are ridiculous w/ your “people will abuse it issue”.

IT WORKS PERFECTLY ON THAT “OTHER” SYSTEM!!!!!

You’re given an automated message telling you when someone on your list changes their name. I’ve been on that system to, for the last year and it’s NEVER A PROBLEM.

SONY NEEDS TO GET ON THIS!!!!!

….. and another thing—- Why the hell would I want to create a new account, when I already have 5 platinums?!?! ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY!?!?!?

MAKE THIS HAPPEN NOW!!!!!

PETElicious  |  March 17th, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I’VE PAID FOR GAMES WITH MY ACCOUNT ALREADY!!!! WHY DELETE ALL THAT!?!?!?

ARE YOU NAYSAYERS ON STUPID JUICE, OR WHAT!?!?!??!

OzTeK  |  March 17th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

People voting this down are morons.

/thread

ProudFist-Kazuma  |  March 17th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

It should just be there for the people who need to use it, and the rest who are satisfied with their psn ID will be fine also. Making a new PSN ID will make you lose your save data, and trophies and all that. It isn’t a good idea, since you can’t copy over saved files, only for older games. But unless you need to make a new ID because you lost your password to both your e-mail and PSN. I don’t know sound’s like a good idea to me. Pay to change. Paying a Fee seems reasonable, And all. I dunno just would be good to give to the ones who need it. :)

uNcRoWnEd  |  March 18th, 2010 at 1:08 am

can we just change the capital letters in our names atleast?

BakaElf  |  March 18th, 2010 at 2:15 am

Limit the name change to once a month, or even once every six. Lock old usernames for a year so no one can rename into them to cause mischief. Send all ‘friends’ an automated message, or otherwise note it for x amount of time. Keep it on private records that Sony employees can access if need be for some reason, obviously.

I chose my username when I was 13. I kept it for consistency when I made my PSN account when I bought a PSP a few years ago. Six months later I started using a new username on all my websites, and am still stuck with a username I don’t like anymore on PSN. It’s frustrating to have to tell people about it because username I chose almost 11 years ago is kinda embarrassing.

I would pay a small fee if it were a reasonable one, but I don’t think that should be necessary at all.

I don’t want to lose my trophies, friends list, and, more the point, access to games I’ve bought on PSN, just because I’m embarrassed by an outdated username. PSN accounts are logged in via email address anyways, so I fail to see where this is a problem.

CJSgamer  |  March 18th, 2010 at 2:24 am

Id pay, like 10$ to change my id

AyoTechnologie  |  March 18th, 2010 at 2:32 am

” they should receive an automated message saying
“so so changed their name to _____ “ ”
Good idea!!
I listen to Metal and other Hardcore music but my name sounds like 50 Cent’s Song^^ I don’t want to lose all my trophys.

rax3456789  |  March 18th, 2010 at 3:01 am

there are a lot of people who made a psn account in rush and would like to change their username. Me one of them.

My suggestion is not to make it with a small fee, just one more change and then it’s it.

everyone deserves another chance.

drivatar  |  March 18th, 2010 at 3:48 am

Should be limited to once every 12 months.

xxPIETROxx  |  March 18th, 2010 at 4:13 am

Perfect idea. EVen limit it i dont care, i HATE my PSN ID. Its so lame lol

StefNighthawk  |  March 18th, 2010 at 5:05 am

Without a fee and limited to once every x months.

AndyVance  |  March 18th, 2010 at 6:01 am

No fee, this shouldn’t require any user interaction on their end…it should be a matter of changing a few cells in a database file or whatever they use to store this information. Its a piss take that microsoft charge 800 pts to change your name.

Soundforger  |  March 18th, 2010 at 7:11 am

Thumbs up for this ;)

And NO , changing your PSN-ID should NOT be free of charge, that way it would be more professional and not have all sorts of name changes in your friends list like everyday..

The fee could be like 5$ maybe…

snaaayk  |  March 18th, 2010 at 7:43 am

I totally agree with this one. I’ve wanted to change my PSN ID almost ever since I created it. I really didn’t feel like spending a bunch of time thinking about a username when I got the PS3 — I just wanted to hop online.

snayk was taken, so I just tacked on a couple of As. It’s not terrible, but I really wish I had something people could pronounce properly on the headset :S

I would definitely be willing to pay a (reasonable) fee for it. Anything over $20 doesn’t make sense, but putting the fee that high would at least limit abuse.

Speaking of abuse: to those of you who are worried that people who are getting reported or banned will simply change their IDs, Sony should (obviously) have a record of all the PSN IDs ever associated with an email address, which would take care of that.

EmoSaga  |  March 18th, 2010 at 8:20 am

I want it! I have outgrown my “Emo” phase! hahaha. Even if it was a once-per-year availability thing so that people didn’t abuse it!

JamesCartner  |  March 18th, 2010 at 8:26 am

Very nice idea i waited so long for this function. If you want to get money for this i just would pay for it, but it should be less than 5$.
Thanks for this idea i hope it comes true.

Pages: 1 2 3 27