Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

Ability to change User ID

Idea 73415 | Posted in , by | May 20, 2014

PS4 needs an update to add the ability to change User ID for $5.

207 Comments Add your own

Pages: 1 2 3 5

BlindMango  |  May 20th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Too add to this, please set LIMITS to this. I think most people can agree (who have experienced this situation) that some people like to change their names constantly (and I mean constantly!).

So not only charge $5 – $10 for a name change but most importantly, set LIMITS!! My idea would be to allow people to change their names 1 or 2 times a year so that people’s friends lists don’t become a mess of different names every week.

Additionally, please add a name-log for users which can be accessed by going to their profile and pressing the “Options” button, the name log would show all of their names that they have ever had and most importantly, their original name! Thanks for reading ;) Hope you guys do this the right way if you implement it!

orangedragoon  |  May 21st, 2014 at 2:12 am

Yeah I’d definitely welcome this feature please! :)

GTR-Carnage  |  May 21st, 2014 at 2:45 am

Having the ability to change my PSN name would be AWESOME!!!

xLew--  |  May 21st, 2014 at 3:14 am

PLEASE! ill use this as many times as i can, every one will use this at least once, think of the money that will be generated from this!

id happily pay £5 each time, no limits either.

CrazyRap  |  May 21st, 2014 at 4:25 am

Wow people actually disagree with this?

Mr_3reka  |  May 21st, 2014 at 4:27 am

I’m surprise Sony has not yet provide this feature. It’s a must!

zezima007  |  May 21st, 2014 at 4:29 am

@CrazyRap I know I do. Imagine the total confusion if even 20% of your friend list changed their name. especially for people with a large friend list, this is a bad idea, if you chose a name you should stick with it IMO.

xLew--  |  May 21st, 2014 at 4:34 am

@zezima007 just real name request them. quite a few people havent got it linked up to fb and just show what they put in their profile.

godsglaive  |  May 21st, 2014 at 5:32 am

This should be change ID and region.

wilfareus  |  May 21st, 2014 at 5:50 am

this really needs to happen. I’ll be happy to pay to change it.

HARD_ANGEL_FAN  |  May 21st, 2014 at 8:17 am

Just take my money SONY! and please add this feature!

Tigerriot  |  May 21st, 2014 at 10:28 am

This feature is so long overdue it’s not even funny. Charge people $10 to do it. No one complains about that on the Xbox, and no one would complain on the PS4. Just allow it and you can make some money from it.

MRH3R0MAN  |  May 21st, 2014 at 10:31 am

@zezima007 just make it so it automatically sends everyone on your friends list a message saying your name was changed from *old name* to *new name*. What’s wrong with that? Xbox Live and many other online services allow it, why not PSN?

CHRIS_BSG  |  May 21st, 2014 at 10:56 am

I also would like to see the people who have been inactive for over 6yrs+ removed from the network so those name could be up for grabs again because when PSN first was released ppl were just making multiple names for no reason and now the names have been inactive for almost a decade

CaptainAlbator  |  May 21st, 2014 at 11:02 am

The terms of service already gives Sony the right to delete your user account if you’re inactive for more than 24 months. If they do allow name changes, they have to prevent people from SELLING names, and the more ADD afflicted from changing them daily, or even hourly.

Changing your region may not be very practical. Your credit cards may not allow overseas transactions, and some countries also may not allow by law for you to send money outside of their borders. Also you’ll be paying MORE for content because of exchange rates, banking fees, taxes, and conversion fees that many banks tack on to any international transactions. This is part of the reason why Sony regionalizes the Playstation Store, to keep costs down for the consumer. You can always have more than one account for different regions.

NekoSlash  |  May 21st, 2014 at 11:13 am

People changed and grew up since the opening of the PSN in 2006. I’m sure many players would love to replace their silly childish nick with a better, classier one without having to create a new account and lose access to their previous contents. In my case, I’d like to unify my nicknames used in every online services I use. Fee and limits are also a good way to prevent change misuse.

Bad_Man_Chucky  |  May 21st, 2014 at 11:16 am

Allow “spaces” to be used in usernames so that underscores don’t have to be used.

molnizzle  |  May 21st, 2014 at 11:41 am

It’s absolutely ridiculous that we’re still asking for this in 2014.

This is an obvious “feature” that any human with half a brain cell would have thought of on DAY ONE of PSN going live. Along with the ability to upgrade sub accounts to master accounts.

C’mon, Sony. You look really pathetic alongside MS when you can’t even implement NO-BRAINER features like this. Figure it out.

Thallwynd  |  May 21st, 2014 at 11:55 am

I would love this since I made the account for my son when I got him a PS Vita, but since I now own the Vita and a PS3 and PS4 I would love to change the name to something that describes me better.

darthorcrux  |  May 21st, 2014 at 11:58 am

This needs to happen so bad. It’s okay to not like your ID anymore or change your mind about what you want it to be. I agree there could be limits to it and would understand if there is a small fee.

GrimFrost666  |  May 21st, 2014 at 12:42 pm

yeah, this needs to be changed – i hate my stupid name

shadysaiyanz  |  May 21st, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Don’t make stupid names you don’t like and you wouldn’t need to change it. Simple.

Welfare_Child  |  May 21st, 2014 at 5:28 pm

i hate my username didn’t even create it busy at work. price is to high. i think 2.99 is fair but ps+ members gets discount of course lets say 1.99 but i do agree on the limits.

True-Havoc  |  May 21st, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Why charge for it? Steam lets you change it to whatever you want whenever you want. It doesn’t even need to be a unique name.

Crown_TSA  |  May 21st, 2014 at 10:00 pm

This is long overdue and, it seems to be me, heavily requested for some time now.

Sony, stop dithering around and implement it please. Microsoft have had this function available on the Xbox for many years now.

xarienne  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 5:11 am

Not just the PS4, ALL PSN users should have this option.

AbeMaori  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 6:09 am

Change user ID? I agree!!! I hope very soon

Phantom-Bros  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 6:14 am

I agree for changing the ID …. and also if there is a choice to change the region, too.

FMR  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 7:59 am

Changing ID, why not, but it should be added when reputation system is released. I don’t want cheaters or bad reputation “players” coming back to my online games or to my friends’ list.

Only players with a good reputation should be allowed to change their ID.

PoX  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 10:36 am

This would be an idea that shouldn’t necessarily be #1 priority being that E3 is upon the horizon, but from a standpoint that, as part of SCE’s new slogan, “This is for the Players”, one would think, as much support from the “Players”, this has been a highly wanted feature for quite some time.

From a business perspective, let’s say they’re 20M active users per week. Out of this, 11% of those users want to change their PSN ID, whilst another ~6% would want to try it out. At $5, or even $10, SCE could turn around and put that towards infrastructure costs.

Having a gradual increasing limit if names are changed too often could help with abuse of name changes, as well as a list to show previous names to know who said person is/an update icon (or area) showing the action of name being changed.

CaptainAlbator  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 11:43 am

It’s not as simple as “they totally would totally make totally so totally much totally money totally off totally of totally this… totally”. Again, you have to prevent people from SELLING the more desirable names. I imagine names like Spider-Man and Doctor Who would command a tidy sum. And you also have to have measures in place to prevent the more ADD afflicted from running up huge bills, and then screaming in gamer outrage.

Just because you didn’t put any thought into your name, that doesn’t mean it “falls to Sony” to allow you to change it. If you come up with something dated like OneDirectionFan4Evr, that’s on you. You can come up with a name you can live with long term whether it’s something you’ve been called as a childhood nickname, something from the world of television, literature (gamers, remember those things you actively shun called “books” ), music, or film. I’m not saying that eventually there shouldn’t be a way to change your name eventually, but if you come up with something stupid, then you can hardly blame Sony for it.

HolyDarkSword  |  May 24th, 2014 at 4:30 pm

@CaptainAlbator, What is stopping people who already own these popular names from selling them right now? And not to mention, who cares if some kid bought someones name?

Same could be said about people who ADD and running up the bill. They are the ones paying for it, so why in the world should anyone care?

impidoo  |  May 25th, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Please let this idea come true. I have wanted to change my username for SO long. It is so frustrating.

I would seriously be happy to pay money to be able to change my username.

I defiantly think people shouldn’t be able to change their name constantly (perhaps once for free- or increase the $$ to change name) as otherwise it would get annoying and confusing!

Perhaps if this DOES go ahead, it would be a good idea to have the option of keeping your old username somewhere in your profile as well, so if someone is confused as to who you are, they can find out who you used to be.

OldClassicGamer  |  May 26th, 2014 at 4:59 am

I agree with this 100%
I agree that limits should be set two like once or twice a year.

BirdmanHB  |  June 10th, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I’m perfectly happy with a limit. I bought PS3 on launch day and when I hooked it up and tried to get on it required me to come up with a PSN name on the spot. I came up with whatever I could think of at the time so I could get on and start playing my launch model PS3, not knowing I would never be able to change it. About a year later I didn’t want it anymore, but now I have been stuck with it for 8 years. I just want to change it ONCE!!

MJGAMING  |  June 13th, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I really would like to see this as a feature. I would like to change my PSN ID to match other services I use.

starkiller_zx1  |  June 15th, 2014 at 5:43 pm

While I like this feature, I think it would be ridiculous to have to pay to do this.

alphablob  |  June 17th, 2014 at 4:21 am

If they don’t let us change ID they should at least give us the option to change the capitals around… My no caps “alphablob” have been haunting me for so long, it doesn’t look professional and I want to make it “AlphaBlob”… Please Sony this is a feature we all want, some of us were kid when we made our ID and grew up into serious gamers.

At the E3 convention I was crossing my fingers for this to happen, I hate the fact that you were showing some user suggestions and did not bring this up… THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST REQUESTED FEATURE OF ALL TIME!!! Please listen to your customers.

dUb_420i  |  June 19th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

YES PLEASE!! I’ve been waiting for this to happen for many a year. I would pay $20 to change my name, I don’t care. Take my money and give me this option, please!! P.s.- sorry for sounding desperate…

thebledkid22  |  June 19th, 2014 at 12:25 pm

If Sony only said that you can now change your PSN ID at E3, I would have been completely fine with that!!!

SSJStarwind16  |  June 19th, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I “own” multiple accounts and would like to merge them and keep my trophies and friends from one account but use the other account’s name.

KSinatra95  |  June 19th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I would happily pay 5$ for a new username

SeanSpot  |  June 19th, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Yes please, this service is most-wanted.

I’d say $5 at the most for a first change is reasonable. Subsequent changes within a year or two of the first change: $10.

l-Brann-l  |  June 19th, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I’ve wanted this feature since early ps3

l-Brann-l  |  June 19th, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I would pay up to $15 to change my name

nduval  |  June 19th, 2014 at 3:02 pm

My son has a very undesirable username, but with a fair bit of digital content already in his library. Being able to change a name, even once every year or so, would be a huge boon.

Pages: 1 2 3 5