Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

PS2 Classics on PS4 and PS Vita

Idea 71623 | Posted in , by | May 21, 2014

PS2 Classics purchased and downloaded on PSN should be playable on both the PS4 and PS Vita.

21 Comments Add your own

Djmax4599  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 4:12 pm

This is what I need,I would love to play PS2 games on the go with my Vita.

oversevethousand  |  June 3rd, 2014 at 1:35 pm

At the very least, a free app that functions as a streaming device for games we’ve purchased but can’t play on the Vita (PS1/PS2 Classics) would be a fair compromise.

lisa_m76  |  June 18th, 2014 at 9:31 pm

The PS Vita has had enough compromises.. It needs PS2 classic support and I honestly don’t like the idea of PlayStation Now… What if I have bad internet connection? and what if I want to play classic PS2 games on the go? this is why PS2 classics need to be playable on PS Vita..

razzlero  |  June 21st, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’m not sure if vita is powerful enough to emulate ps2 games, but ps4 definitely should be and should have ps2 and ps1 support.

den_rick  |  June 23rd, 2014 at 6:14 am

PS4 can more or less use Ps Now. But it might be better if you can actually buy the game.

For the Vita, they can just port PS2 games as it is. It is not necessary to introduce a super Hyper “HD” version which is costly to make. If they want they can insert filtering for slightly better graphics.

They can also just put it on the PSN.

GTA SA, Gran Turismo and Original Most Wanted /Maybe NFS Carbon, Mortal Kombat are needed here. I am sure Original Most Wanted can be interesting since it is the best one. or even Burnout 3: Takedown. Come on!

Icestar10  |  June 25th, 2014 at 8:36 am

I really would like this! The PS2 has lots of games so it makes sense to make PS2 games available.

Djmax4599  |  June 29th, 2014 at 11:34 pm

The PS Vita is pretty powerful.. Way more powerful than a PS2.. If we have a developer who knows a lot about the PS2 Emotion Engine and the Vita’s limitations, they can code a PS2 emulator instead of releasing the PS2 games over again in HD. Also I would hate to BUY THE GAMES I BOUGHT ON PLAYSTATION STORE AGAIN!!… I bought Rayman 2 Revolution, Rayman Arena, and Bully and would love to play those on the go… Its a whole lot of Vita fans who like the idea of PS2 Classics so Sony make this happen!!

Davs_Due  |  June 30th, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I want my Spy vs. Spy game on my PS4! :’(

MellowLyricist  |  July 7th, 2014 at 1:18 am

Who are the fools downvoting this? There is a real concern of PS3s having backward compatibility with PS2 discs removed, but this would be the only way, short of full-priced HD ports, for us to play legally PS2 games on the go. SMH.

Jotamide  |  July 21st, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I really want PS2 classics on the Vita. I would love to play the Fatal Frame games, SMT Nocturne, and SNK vs Capcom 2 on the go!

Shadowbhiemes  |  July 24th, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Who the hell’s down voting this?

WitWolfy  |  August 12th, 2014 at 2:30 am

I dont know why this hasnt been implemented yet, obviously the PS4 is more than able to emulate PS2 games this time around. I’ll even pay for he app just release it!

SpiritWolf_93  |  August 23rd, 2014 at 1:20 am

PS1/2 classics on the Vita would be awesome! But probably difficult to accomplish for on the go gaming. However, it would be almost pointless to do that for the PS4 because they have classics for the PS3. (So just plug your PS3 up and play them!) But if I am not mistaken, they are putting a bunch of games (PS1/2 classics as well as PS3 games) on PlayStation Now. So everybody wins!!!! :D

magooser  |  August 25th, 2014 at 1:21 pm

PS2 classics on the Vita would make my video game dreams come true. FFX HD was a true pleasure on the Vita.

What I don’t understand about PS Now is why they don’t just let you temporarily download the game, the way you can download movies you rent. Seems like they dropped the ball on that.

BipedalOliveOil  |  August 30th, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Expectations for sales are set high because of Steam and other PC distribution platforms. They have this ability strengthened by strong backwards compatability and being able to continuously sell games from years ago maybe even decades. These old games can be sold in packs and should be something that a studio should be able to garner revenue from for years to come. You don’t see movies stop being sold after decade or two.

k-suprimacy  |  September 4th, 2014 at 11:06 am

since the begging of time we’ve been crying about this. i think sony don’t care.

JerwinBroas  |  September 4th, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Please Love the vita, sony.Please.

Wayne_Joyce  |  September 29th, 2014 at 4:07 pm

WOULD LIKE BOTH OPTIONS REGARDING GAME STREAMING VS. RUNNING NATIVELY ON HARDWARE. PS Now (game streaming) is a good idea for times when Internet connectivity is available or an option but ultimately I would also like to have the CHOICE to purchase FULL games and play them NATIVELY on the hardware, for example, for those times when I have no internet connectivity (like when I’m out of the house (car, cabin, etc.) with my wi-fi only Vita).

CaSh_Recoilz  |  September 29th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

YES!!!! And they need to add games like dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi 3..
also they need to add ps3 classics into ps4 as well or more games through playstation now.

WitWolfy  |  October 2nd, 2014 at 7:35 am

Pssssh… Wont happen, thats why they announced PSNOW, because these idiots are too LAZY to write a quick emulator that would appeal to more people buying it in a heartbeat. They’ll rather charge you again for streaming it at ridiculous prices and expect you to lick their toes and say thank you o great lord.

Too bad, your loss Sony.

Oxybelis  |  October 19th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

PS2 Classics on Vita could not be done. Vita does not have enough power.