Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

Two-step verification

Idea 71538 | Posted in , by | May 21, 2014

If someone gets your email and password right you should be able to setup a 2 step verification method. This can be a message via text or email with a code you enter.

This feature is now available.

37 Comments Add your own

Rockin-Tiger  |  June 14th, 2014 at 2:22 am

its a great idea just very tedious seems like an authentication thing should be done on a site with the account info and registered systems tht you personally put the serial number in for say yours is 123 mine is 345 now we both use it but if for some reason we dont arent friends you can remove mine and your idea would be implemented on the site instead so i cant just change all the info and remove you ^^

MisterJumpMan  |  March 3rd, 2015 at 8:50 pm

@Rockin-Tiger They could just have the option to mark the device (PS4, phone, tablet, whatever) as safe, only requiring the code the first time you sign into the account (like MS does with their 2-step verification).

SolsticeZeroJPN  |  March 12th, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Making authentication link with the PSN app on your phone would be great. Kind of like how a Chromecast works. If it sees that your PS App phone is on the same network as your PS console, it auto logs you in.

iHereticAnthem  |  March 13th, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Make my account more secure and make yourself as a company less likely to have to deal with hacked accounts!

younginflavor18  |  March 14th, 2015 at 11:58 am

I certainly would like to see this two-step authentication happen.

That would make PSN accounts a lot more secure than before.

ShadowKnigthX7  |  March 15th, 2015 at 1:45 am

i approve this idea, I would like a two step authentication to happen, that way my account would be safer.

jacknkh  |  March 15th, 2015 at 10:38 pm

For the safety of the account, this step must be taken.

cheezdoodle96  |  March 16th, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I don’t get why anyone would down vote this. If the reason is not wanting to enter a code everytime then Sony could (and should) just do it like Gmail where you can mark a source as safe and not have to enter an authentication code everytime you log in, and when you or someone else tries to log on from a different source you need to enter an authentication code sent to your mobile phone. Or Blizzard/Battle.net where it freaks out if it notices you’re in(?) a different IP-address.

AllergicDonkey  |  March 16th, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I totally want this. Should definitely be an option for those willing to take that risk…but use this like mmos and other sites do(like banks!).

casper2345  |  March 17th, 2015 at 7:03 pm

This Is a great idea as an optional thing. Sony admits the are attacked on a daily basis it only takes one person to get through and untold amounts of accounts could be compromised. An optional extra layer of security would do a lot to appease those who feel insecure with sony and from the look of forums such as Reddit that’s a lot of people. That plus you hear about some horror stories about people getting into peoples accounts like that guy kajair who lost $600 and got his ps4 unauthorised and was told he could only have $150 back in psn credit and if he tried to stop it through the bank sony would perma-ban his account and he would lose everything. Second step verification could do a lot to help with that stuff

cusman  |  March 18th, 2015 at 2:46 pm

People should be able to opt in to Multi Factor Authentication before email/password can be changed, or before device can be activated/deactivated.

sonician1  |  March 18th, 2015 at 10:40 pm

As John Oliver would say, “How is this (not) a thing?”

JamieBenoir  |  March 19th, 2015 at 3:21 pm

PLEASE do something to increase security.

laggsta  |  March 23rd, 2015 at 8:03 am

If you are going to make people financially responsible for their hacked accounts, then you should also provide the means for users to protect themselves other than using broken passwords. #PlayersBeforePolicy

KazeEternal  |  March 27th, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Would be cool if we could get an authenticator token for PSN for first logins on a platform. Kind of like what blizzard does for battle.net or what Square does for FF14 and their online services or what google does. Just need an app for that for my phone or a purchasable keychain fob would be great.

Jazza1202  |  April 4th, 2015 at 5:03 am

This is a must have!
Anything that requires credit card usage where you use it frequently and where the companys policy says that they would not be at fault for your accounts vulnerability must have this!
Look at Apple and Microsoft for example, they have it, so why doesn’t Sony?

After all it’s our details, credit information and information linked to the account and we should be provided with additional security features like this, otherwise the company should be at fault and be responsible for hacked accounts.

This just proves how scheme-y an organisation could be, selling our info and making us reliable!
Laws need to change for better consumer protection!

Wilkinsocks  |  May 14th, 2015 at 7:41 am

Certainly should be an option considering how much bad press PlayStation has had in terms of security in the past.

blackhawk79628  |  June 30th, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I 100% AGREE I DON’T SEE WHY SONY HAS NOT ADDED THIS YET BECAUSE OTHER COMPANY’S EX. EA GAMES HAS IT AND MANY OTHERS

Ownageslay3r  |  July 10th, 2015 at 5:44 pm

This needs more upvotes and views. With hundreds of dollars added to our accounts, the least Sony could do is to improve our security in case of hackers making purchases under unauthorized purchases. Some of us could actually be quick enough to prevent further damages so Sony will be able to help us and possibly provide us a refund if the damage was done. It’s our account. We want to put as much security as possible. Who doesn’t want extra security.

Gameskeeper  |  July 13th, 2015 at 6:16 am

With hacked PSN accounts being a constant problem, this security should be given. How can Sony expect anyone to store their credit card information on a system that has been proven again and again to be insecure?

Hiei-YYH_BR  |  July 13th, 2015 at 8:47 am

i can’t understand how ppl down vote a secutiry related idea… this should be top priority, psn is hacked easily.

oddEvan  |  July 14th, 2015 at 8:34 am

Given the amount of time I am spending on my PS4 (Destiny, I’m looking at you), I’d like to have a little more peace-of-mind that someone random can’t impersonate me and mess with my hard work.

pwnpourrri  |  July 15th, 2015 at 8:06 pm

This issue is so underrated. It’s not as “catchy” as name changes or PSN store fixes, but it’s actually the reason I jumped into #betterpsn in the first place. I’ve had my PSN account compromised in 2012 and my PS3 stolen this year, and of course we’ve all heard horror stories of hacked accounts. I even delete my credit card info after every purchase because I don’t feel secure with the current measures in place. 2-step verification isn’t much to ask to protect your customers!

notSocialSavant  |  September 14th, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Opt-in.
Verify via text/PS App/fob/Authy (R).
Implemented for ANY AND ALL irreversible options/actions such as Purchases, Acct Management, Logins, etc.
Option to “trust” succesful login via long timeout (checkbox during authentication) or by proximity to second physical device (really liked the linked PS App on WiFi/Bluetooth or even PS Vita on WiFi/BT idea, @SolsticeZeroJPN!).
Examples of this are effectively used by many other parties including Valve’s Steam, Blizzard’s Battle.net, Humble Bundle’s Android App/Authy, Google Sign-in, etc.

T-man1224  |  December 3rd, 2015 at 8:51 am

This absolutely needs to be in place.

DrJohnDorian  |  January 4th, 2016 at 3:55 am

As someone who was just hacked this NEEDS to be here.

Mid game I get booted out to login screen with an error stating my account was logged in on another PS4. Figure its just a PSN bug so jump back on, booted out again. Restart the PlayStation, booted again. This happens 5+ more times so I check my emails, two unopened PSN password and PIN has been changed confirmation emails 20 minutes ago.

I quickly change my email password for safe measure even though it has 2 step verification. just to be sure. Re change my PSN account password and Pin but I’m still getting booted out.

Have a look around and find the PS4 console in front of me is no long my Primary PS4 for the account I can’t activate my system as primary until the other one is deactivated.Unless you do the account wide device deactivation from a computer. Turns out whoever got in had already done the account wide device deactivation and set their PS4 to primary. You can only do ONCE in 6 months.

Called up support.
Nice enough guy but basically says there isn’t anything I can do for 6 months. Have to deal with getting booted out.

Let you know how it goes…
To be continued…

DrJohnDorian  |  January 4th, 2016 at 5:19 am

It’s been an hour now and whoever has access is quite happy playing the games I paid for.. random achievements going on the wall.. I’m hoping me signing in constantly and booting them off is irritating enough that they give up..

PlayStation NEEDS 2 step verification.. I’ll happily deal with the occasional inconvenience to have my account actually be secure. Phone verification txt, Authentication app, or fob… anything…..

TLDR: Account hacked. Screwed for 6 months. We need 2 step verification for PSN.

ellessidil  |  January 24th, 2016 at 4:02 pm

How on earth in todays day and age does Sony not offer two-factor authentication as an option for their accounts? Be it via FOB, PC/iOS/Android app, text message… just get something in place Sony!

Like many others I just went through having my PS4 deactivated due to someone compromising my account, even though the password on said account is not shared with any other account I use online and is changed every 3 months. Thankfully I was able to get the password changed before they could change it themselves and removed all of my payment information before any charges could be placed on my card.

Lambo21  |  February 10th, 2016 at 11:14 am

I wish i could upvote this again! This is needed badly, fantastic idea

Erroneus  |  February 22nd, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Sony please add two factor authentication as an option to PSN accounts, so those who want to protect their accounts even better, can do so. Your competition in gaming, EA, Valve, Microsoft, Blizzard, Facebook and many other already supports it.

Zer0K3wL1337  |  February 23rd, 2016 at 4:57 am

Yeah they definitely need to add this and they could either allow setting to always verification code for purchases or only for non primary playstation.
two step verification adds a lot of extra security for people that use it properly.

mer2329  |  March 3rd, 2016 at 2:11 am

its all about the security. Please impliment 2FA.

robinwilson16  |  March 19th, 2016 at 2:42 pm

This is now pretty standard best practice and I have 2FA on Xbox One, Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, Office 365 for Business and it is surprising Sony has not got around to supporting it yet especially due to the hacks that cost it 10% of its share price.
Security should be its first priority.

noscoper43  |  May 7th, 2016 at 2:17 am

How do I get the network to send me a message

jdizzle84  |  June 10th, 2016 at 6:57 pm

This is confirmed for the next firmware already.

WhiskeyBlues  |  August 13th, 2016 at 10:45 am

Won’t be buying any more games digitally until this is a thing.