Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

DLNA support

Idea 73631 | Posted in by | May 22, 2014

The ability to be a client to DLNA servers running on PC, tablet, phone and NAS is great on the PS3. This feature is needed on the PS4. In short, duplicate the functionality that was on PS3.

Update 2: This feature is now available using the PS4 Media Player application, released during E3 2015.

38 Comments Add your own

D-Kalck  |  June 6th, 2014 at 4:21 am

This is my greatest disappointment about the PS4.

Zoryu_of_Setsuna  |  June 9th, 2014 at 5:19 am

Don’t forget the ability to play the music while playing games instead of using Music Unlimited. That’s one thing i miss from the 360.

Mr-interested  |  June 10th, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I am also waiting for DLNA support for both the PS4 and the Vita. The Vita is great in that it allows me to stream and play a PS4 Game to my Vita. Unfortunately the Vita can’t stream a simple video from my media server on my NAS (which is something any basic smart phone or tablet can do).

ghostdivision7  |  June 12th, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I often used dlna to play music on my ps3 and it was great, im very surprised the ps4 took a step back to remove it.

outlink  |  June 17th, 2014 at 6:06 am

PS3 used to be my Media Device before I decided to move to PS4. Now its a pretty black box which doesnt do half the things PS3 used to do. NEED DLNA Support.

gold_og_roger  |  June 18th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Can you support more formats like mkv, mp4, wmv and avi please?

ProcessedFoods  |  July 17th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Wish I could upvote more. This is a major disappointment for me as I used this feature regularly on my PS3. It feels like such a step backwards not including this functionality on the PS4.

BalmungTaichou  |  September 2nd, 2014 at 12:55 pm

@ghostdivison7 what make more sense letting people use their own music and games or making them rebuy their own music and games. That said I do believe its time to include DNLA support.

deafwing  |  September 3rd, 2014 at 9:44 pm

this should have been a standard : / ah well … can’t have it all I guess …

kerslacr  |  September 18th, 2014 at 10:42 am

I made my PS3 the coreof my entertainment center by using a local media server. My PS3 just died two weeks ago which prompted me to get a PS4, but now I do not have a way to use my media server. Please add support for this as it was such a great feature of the PS3.

durdensbuddy  |  October 27th, 2014 at 6:26 pm

The lack of this feature is my biggest disappointment with the PS4. My ps3 got so much love over the 360 because it was able to play any damn thing I wanted off my network, or on the HDD. This needs to happen

KnivesOut79  |  November 2nd, 2014 at 12:05 am

I’m honestly thinking of selling the PS4 and getting a competing console because of this. The media features are severely lacking on the PS4. In my living room right now, I have a Sony TV, an Xperia phone, and a PS4, and I cannot get a video taken earlier today from the Xperia phone to the TV. What a huge disappointment.

Supawiz6991  |  November 15th, 2014 at 8:12 pm

As someone with a Plex Media Server, I would love to see DLNA support come to the PS4! @Intik- I would love to see that app as well although I think thats more something Plex would have to do. 🙂

d3m0l0g1k  |  December 4th, 2014 at 6:48 am

You can kind of do this already. Via the web browser. you can access your Plex Media server through the browser and stream videos that way.

darKING01  |  December 18th, 2014 at 2:25 am

Please Sony. Do not be greedy and shove your payed services on us. Give us at-least PS3 equivalent DLNA service.

Plex browser service rarely works. There new app that will come out soon will be a paid app.

PlayStation is better then this. Sony is better then this.

Regards
Loyal Fan and user.

Kiltak  |  January 2nd, 2015 at 9:10 am

PS4 looks like a big step back on this front. Really sad when I found out I couldn’t access my NAS files…

GoPens35  |  January 24th, 2015 at 1:17 am

This needs to be added and should have been in from the start.

joeboosauce  |  February 13th, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Another no-brainer. It’s on PS3. How about you just duplicate it???

rcrofail  |  February 21st, 2015 at 1:45 am

I recall Sony helped pioneer DLNA in TV’s. Supported on PS3. The “other guys” have supported it for 6 months. Come on already and give us back DLNA.

user_NAME_44  |  February 24th, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Thank you Sony for making me NOT want a PS4 – now I can save that money. Goodbye Sony, Hello Microsoft! It was nice knowing you.

Baelzar  |  March 4th, 2015 at 7:03 pm

It’s a disgrace that the PS4 doesn’t have DLNA support.

TheFursnake  |  March 6th, 2015 at 5:32 pm

I bought a PS4 last fall when my PS3 crapped out on me. I didn’t really do a whole lot of research on the PS4, I just bought one because I liked my PS3. Figured it was a no-brainer, had no clue that they cut features like backward compatibility and DLNA support. The only reason I can see for these features to be removed is so they can push their paid-for streaming services which feels greedy and pathetic. I almost wish I had got an XBone (not really hehe). But still, c’mon Sony get with it!

Reaper  |  April 14th, 2015 at 11:42 am

How is DLNA made by Sony, on the Xbox One by Microsoft but not on the PS4 by Sony? I don’t understand…?

mrdeadhead  |  April 16th, 2015 at 12:47 am

this is the biggest thing keeping me from getting a ps4. i don’t want to have both my ps3 and my ps4 cluttering up the place, just so i can watch my own videos. but seeing as how my ps3 has heaps more media capabilities, i’ll have to stick with that for the time being. which is saying something because i’ve already waited longer to get this gen after its release than i did for psx, ps2, or ps3 (which i had to get a second of because you didn’t make those right, either). and jeez if you’re gonna do it late, at least do it right and improve this one. mkv and all that. you know what? just get VLC to write your media player app

mrdeadhead  |  April 16th, 2015 at 1:00 am

and for the record: no, you won’t get everyone to use your music/video store, with it’s inflated prices and spotty library, in lieu of our own media libraries we have on our computers. you might get a lot of people, but to everyone that used their ps3 for more than netflix and games you’re just releasing an intentionally poor-quality product in a (frankly dishonest) attempt to sway users into more lucrative [for you] viewing habits. which i can say at least for me, having been a playstation user since the psx, feels like something of a betrayal

mistanihan  |  May 11th, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Come on guys! Over a year later and still nothing has come of this! DO you not take into consideration what the users think of your product? Xbox One is becoming the more superior system with better media capabilities and a better online store!

Bring DLNA to PS4, hell you created it!

KenKill_  |  May 12th, 2015 at 11:03 am

2 years after the launch date, still no dlna support, seriously sony, wake up

ShadowGodd  |  May 22nd, 2015 at 4:44 am

Yea what they should have done is basically make a PS3-2.
with the way menus are and the XMB and the library on PS4 the PS3 outshines it by 50 fold.
the PS3s UI was and still is the best.
the PS4s UI is a mess, the library is a mess too.
with apps inside the games catagory its pathetic.

i love the PS4s graphics, smoothness, console design and the Dualshock4
but the UI is complete crap

ShadowGodd  |  May 22nd, 2015 at 4:50 am

not too mention all the media support PS3 had… i mean i could pop in any type of disc and get it to play.

MP3 discs, data discs, dvds, and especially AUDIO cds.

and then we had the Mass Media storage abality, basically plug in any type of USB external hdd or flashdrive and play what ever was on it, photos, music, movies etc.

with the PS4 its like they changed everything… the old PS3 slogan “it only does everything” should now be “PS4 it plays only PS4 and absolutly nothing else, not even the classics”

heavensyu  |  June 1st, 2015 at 2:24 pm

What have you been doing SONY???????Why no DLNA support yet? Not talking about no real AAA games yet, no even DLNA support! I was thinking SONY was better than MICROSOFT because XONE’s less compatible graphic card, but I was wrong! Xbox One is getting to be a better console with more apps and multimedia functions! Until now, I still don’t have any reason to replace my PS3 with PS4. If Sony is continue doing crap like this, I believe XBox One’s sales will exceed PS4 some day.

heavensyu  |  June 1st, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Disappointed, totally disappointed.

heavensyu  |  June 1st, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a nonprofit collaborative standards organization established by Sony and Intel in June 2003. However only Microsoft is making DLNA into a real good experience, this is really funny.