Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

Skype for PS4

Idea 73575 | Posted in , , by | May 22, 2014

This would be great addition for people who want to play games and chat with others who don’t own one.

19 Comments Add your own

liquidypoo  |  May 23rd, 2014 at 2:40 am

That ship sailed about two years ago when Microsoft bought Skype. You know how Microsoft feels about sharing. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.

mitchbel1996  |  May 23rd, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Skype is owned by Microsoft, not happening bro.

fabsenk5  |  June 18th, 2014 at 7:57 am

Skype is on PS Vita, so please push it to PS4 too! Would love to use my PS Camera to videochat with friends..

davidjtate  |  June 18th, 2014 at 11:17 am

That ship hasn’t necessarily sailed. Microsoft owns Skype and yet they make an iOS app.

x_-WAR-_xJ0k3R  |  June 18th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Yeah the fact that microsoft owns it doesn’t mean they flat out wont work with sony, skype’s part of microsoft is a completely different division and at the end of the day, if they refuse sony can offer a little money?

TimmehBoy  |  June 18th, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Skype is still a business, they even said they’re interested in bringing Skype to the PS4 last year.

unrealmp3  |  June 18th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Probably low on Microsoft’s ToDo list, but would be nice.

Bar50cal  |  June 18th, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Unfortunately Skype is owned by Microsoft so it is up to them if they want to let the competition use it.

spenca97  |  June 20th, 2014 at 1:01 pm

This would be a fantastic addition. Some people will say, “Well Microsoft won’t put Skype on PS4, because they own the Xbox One.” I don’t think that’s very true. They have Skype on the Vita, which is owned by Sony.

crusher915  |  September 3rd, 2014 at 10:22 pm

The only reason why it is on vita is because Microsoft bought Skype like almost a week after it launched on vita

favian  |  September 15th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Microsoft isn’t allowed to restrict which platforms get Skype, part of the deal they made when they bought Skype. It’s irrelevant that MS owns it. Skype is already on two PS Platforms

KBG29  |  January 18th, 2015 at 6:52 am

Sony just needs to bring their own app to PS4. Video chat is something that is sorely missing in the transition from PS3 to PS4.

Preidon  |  May 11th, 2015 at 7:48 am

We will never have skype sadly…

greekmangas  |  May 18th, 2015 at 3:03 am

We might never have skype but there is Viber which could work just as well!!!!!!

CH3MiC_23  |  September 1st, 2015 at 10:13 pm

We’ll Get OOvOO Video Chat. Not Skype Or Viber.

FreakLikeChewy  |  September 9th, 2015 at 4:54 pm

As much as I would like this, Skype is owned by Microsoft. I do not see this happening.

I rather see ooVoo or something similar come to PS4 and PS3.

John_Masson  |  November 14th, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I want Skype on PS4 also. I mean Sony Bravia televisions have Skype and I think PS VITA and PSP have Skype. Why not PS4? I mean we could talk to our XBOX ONE friends from our consoles also, if we get Skype. But I think a barrier is being put in place and we are getting ooVoo at some point instead. So looks like chatting to our XBOX friends from our PS4 is a no. I can only hope we do get Skype though. I mean that is what everyone uses. I have never used or heard of ooVoo.