Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

PS2 Classics playable on PS Vita

Idea 74112 | Posted in , by | June 5, 2014

The PS2 classics on the PlayStation Store need to be playable on Vita.

6 Comments Add your own

Xrii  |  June 15th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I am pretty sure its not as simple as this. The PS2 engine is pretty annoyingly complex and isn’t friendly to emulation and the like. I feel either Vita should be able to play PS2 games via PSNow or the developers of those games should re-release “HD” versions to the vita.

lisa_m76  |  June 19th, 2014 at 1:51 am

PS Vita needs PS2 classic support…. Not all people have a stable internet connection or would like to buy the games again although they have already have it bought on PSN..

den_rick  |  June 23rd, 2014 at 5:56 am

I think that HD is not even necessary. They can just give the normal version and allow some filtering if they want.

It is not even necessary for them to be on a physical form but only on the PSN. So it will be cheaper for them.

GTA SA, Original Most Wanted, Gran Turismo, Mortal Kombat, Kingdom Hearts etc. just need to come as they were.

Djmax4599  |  July 3rd, 2014 at 2:55 am

I agree with Lisa_M76, I sometimes have internet complications or no internet at all and I would hate for PSNow to be the only option for PS2 classics..

Also HD remakes? meaning I would have to buy the games again? I don’t think so.

I honestly wish Sony and some talented developers could code PS2 classic’s on the Vita.

The PS Vita has more ram and raw CPU and GPU power than a PS2. Although the Emotion Engine is complex, if we have some developers who know about the processor, and the Vita’s limitations and it’s strengths, they can code an emulator or port from PS2 to Vita.

The Vita even gets PS2 ports… If they can re-release an PS2 game on PS Vita, the PS Vita can sure get coded an emulator. To port a game from one platform to another, you have to code and redesign that game to get it to run on the new platform its getting ported on. You have to know the strengths and weaknesses of the platform your working with.

Djmax4599  |  August 9th, 2014 at 2:13 am

The PS2 was one of the most selling consoles of all time.

If PS Vita gets PS2 Classic support, this would boost sales of the console in my opinion.

Especially if it’s playable without PS Now. Imagine playing Bully, or any PS2 classic without requiring internet. The PS3 uses an PS2 Classic emulator to run PS2 games on the PS Store.

Using 1 PPC CPU with 6 SPE’S and an GPU based on Nvidia G70 architecture. Also not only to mention the 512 MB of ram split into two 256 MB. Only some PS3 models have the Emotion Engine on the board.

magooser  |  August 25th, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I’m thinking this is very complicated because if not Sony would be sitting on a gold mine. I mean, I know I’m not alone when it comes to wanting to spend a few hundred dollars on PS2 games. Right off the bat I would buy EVERY PS2 Level 5 RPG starting with Rogue Galaxy. Xenosaga as well.