Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

PS2 Classics playable on PS Vita

Idea 74112 | Posted in , by | June 5, 2014

The PS2 classics on the PlayStation Store need to be playable on Vita.

15 Comments Add your own

Xrii  |  June 15th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I am pretty sure its not as simple as this. The PS2 engine is pretty annoyingly complex and isn’t friendly to emulation and the like. I feel either Vita should be able to play PS2 games via PSNow or the developers of those games should re-release “HD” versions to the vita.

lisa_m76  |  June 19th, 2014 at 1:51 am

PS Vita needs PS2 classic support…. Not all people have a stable internet connection or would like to buy the games again although they have already have it bought on PSN..

den_rick  |  June 23rd, 2014 at 5:56 am

I think that HD is not even necessary. They can just give the normal version and allow some filtering if they want.

It is not even necessary for them to be on a physical form but only on the PSN. So it will be cheaper for them.

GTA SA, Original Most Wanted, Gran Turismo, Mortal Kombat, Kingdom Hearts etc. just need to come as they were.

Djmax4599  |  July 3rd, 2014 at 2:55 am

I agree with Lisa_M76, I sometimes have internet complications or no internet at all and I would hate for PSNow to be the only option for PS2 classics..

Also HD remakes? meaning I would have to buy the games again? I don’t think so.

I honestly wish Sony and some talented developers could code PS2 classic’s on the Vita.

The PS Vita has more ram and raw CPU and GPU power than a PS2. Although the Emotion Engine is complex, if we have some developers who know about the processor, and the Vita’s limitations and it’s strengths, they can code an emulator or port from PS2 to Vita.

The Vita even gets PS2 ports… If they can re-release an PS2 game on PS Vita, the PS Vita can sure get coded an emulator. To port a game from one platform to another, you have to code and redesign that game to get it to run on the new platform its getting ported on. You have to know the strengths and weaknesses of the platform your working with.

Djmax4599  |  August 9th, 2014 at 2:13 am

The PS2 was one of the most selling consoles of all time.

If PS Vita gets PS2 Classic support, this would boost sales of the console in my opinion.

Especially if it’s playable without PS Now. Imagine playing Bully, or any PS2 classic without requiring internet. The PS3 uses an PS2 Classic emulator to run PS2 games on the PS Store.

Using 1 PPC CPU with 6 SPE’S and an GPU based on Nvidia G70 architecture. Also not only to mention the 512 MB of ram split into two 256 MB. Only some PS3 models have the Emotion Engine on the board.

magooser  |  August 25th, 2014 at 1:18 pm

I’m thinking this is very complicated because if not Sony would be sitting on a gold mine. I mean, I know I’m not alone when it comes to wanting to spend a few hundred dollars on PS2 games. Right off the bat I would buy EVERY PS2 Level 5 RPG starting with Rogue Galaxy. Xenosaga as well.

cifer559  |  November 19th, 2014 at 10:47 pm

i dont have anything against indie games when i say this, but this would be a good way to brake up the monotonous indie game train sony’s been ridding lately on the vita

planetfifa  |  November 20th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Sony is already selling PS2 games on the store as Classics, playable on PS3, but I don’t think they are actually ports. What I think they’re doing is take the PS2 software emulator that was in the 60GB EU launch model and use it to run games with a few optimizations, and then sell the games on the store.

Hand64  |  January 4th, 2015 at 1:27 am

I agree with cifer– the system needs some more 1st party love from Sony.

I think an appropriate game plan for Sony to follow is to make the PS Vita a “companion” to the PS4, much like how Nintendo’s Wii U has the Gamepad.

But the best part about the PS Vita is that it is a fully-fledged handheld, meaning if they release cross-buy PS4/Vita games that come with copies of both games, people will be more inclined to buy a Vita.

bertraar2  |  February 12th, 2015 at 12:57 pm

YES! YES! YES! This would make for very fun times 😛 I’d say keep Indie Games for Mobile and Port to the Vita. GTAIII and a bunch others on iOS and Droid…horrible controls :[] But the Vita 😀

Wet_Ninja  |  February 25th, 2015 at 11:21 am

Having them be playable on PlayStation TV would be great, too.

walter212121  |  April 16th, 2015 at 10:17 am

The only cure for vita life only ps2 emu for vita… If sony cant this vita ends.. Because vita doesnt release aaa game.. Maybe somebody buy vita for ps4 and ps3 remote play.. But vita alone console portable console need exculusive game or emulator for ps2…

ijal_pro96  |  August 9th, 2015 at 10:48 am

hi i agree with this statement.In my opinion, ps vita is the new generation after psp.so the ps vita need to be playable ps2 game.although, i really want play ps2 game on ps vita that would be awesome.there is no need for pirated game and otherwise there will increasing support on ps vita system about ps 2 game.I hope sony could bring ps2 game into vita like u did on ps3 system.this will make people happy with this new playable ps 2 game..

S_M_T_Nocturne  |  August 17th, 2015 at 6:50 pm

The PS2 has an amazing library of games, and this would be a fantastic way to keep these classic games alive. I’d love to see PS2 classics playable on Vita and Playstation TV.

Astroking112  |  August 19th, 2015 at 3:03 pm

This would go a long way in stopping any lingering complaints about the library. Persona 4’s not interesting enough? How about Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet and Clank, or any of the other PS2 Classics?

And adding even more to it, this would add to the amount of games that people own on the Vita. It probably wouldn’t boost sales a ton, but I know I picked up mine after amassing a library from PS+ over a while. If people find out that they can play Classics they already purchased on PS3, then suddenly the Vita might become a lot more attractive to more gamers.

The only reason I can think of that it hasn’t happened yet is that it simply isn’t possible, which would be a real shame. Hopefully some company can figure out how to get PS2 Classics Cross-Platform, like with the PSOne Classics.