Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

PS4 Remote Play without turning TV on

Idea 76060 | Posted in , by | September 26, 2014

Sometimes my gf is watching here series when i come home and its really annoying that i have to change a channel to turn on Remote Play on PS4. Once i register my Vita, it should connect automatically

13 Comments Add your own

olinkalex  |  October 15th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

The PS4 already does that. You just need to turn on the PS4 or have the PS4 on StandBy Mode to connect it to the PSVita. You do not need to have the TV on to do RemotePlay.

rougegoat  |  November 10th, 2014 at 9:46 am

olinkalex, you’re apparently not aware of the situation they are describing. The PS4 uses a protocol called CEC which allows for the PS4 to control HDMI devices. One way it uses this is to turn the TV on when the system turns on. That happens even if you are doing so via Remote Play. OtariX’s idea is to have a toggle that basically tells the OS, “On network boot, do not turn on the TV.” This would prevent the TV from turning on when no one is there. It would also prevent the input changing automatically while the TV is in use for other purposes.

EgoZen  |  December 1st, 2014 at 6:52 am

In that case you just have to turn off “HDMI link” setting on your PS4 so the TV doesn´t turn on. And keep it on stand by so that you can turn the console on remotely.

DVD_Sandwich  |  December 30th, 2014 at 1:33 am

PS4 doesn’t send the “Hey tv, turn on and switch to my input!” signal when turned on via remote play.

SsJ_Naruto-Vash  |  January 12th, 2015 at 1:29 pm

@DVD_Sandwich yes it does, because when you turn on the PS4 from rest-mode, it doesn’t yet know if it’s being awoken by a controller or a PSVita.

ninjafox250  |  January 30th, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I have hdmi link enabled and my TV Turns on when I power on the DS4 or the power button on the console. It has never turned it on when I use Remote Play via the Vita or the Android App.

SuperFlyXXI  |  February 7th, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I too haven’t ever had my TV tien on our switch inputs die to remote play. Only when using a controller.

ThantoSeraph  |  February 19th, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I’ve had this problem where the remote play wont connect unless I am logged in under my account(my girlfriend has an account on there as well) so I need to turn on a controller log in and then it will work which is annoying.

Rednex141  |  March 19th, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Set your ps vita account as main account on the ps4 and it’ll work

Pedal_Bike_Pete  |  July 10th, 2015 at 3:43 pm

PS4 already does this. If you remote activate your PS4, HDMI device link is not activated. This means your TV will not switch on or change channel.

DragonIrons  |  August 16th, 2015 at 1:24 pm

MY tv doesn’t turn on either… I just push the power button on the controller to turn the PS4 on, then turn on the Vita. By the time I start remote play on the Vita the PS4’s loaded (and TV’s still off if it was in the first place…..). And I don’t use standby… I like my electric bill lower (if even a little).

flutflut1  |  March 13th, 2016 at 6:15 pm

i want to be able to do that with the ps3. and to be able to turn off the system with the vita when disconnecting so i can do that from the other room and nobody would know i was playing.