Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

Option to disable DualShock 4 disconnected notification

Idea 78763 | Posted in , by | May 25, 2015

Please allow the user to disable the controller disconnected notification. It is extremely annoying when you are watching a movie or tv show, and it pops up.

16 Comments Add your own

DragonIrons  |  August 16th, 2015 at 1:07 pm

or you could take 4 seconds and turn the controller off yourself b4 you lean back and watch the movie..

christy_nemesis  |  January 25th, 2016 at 10:07 pm

@DragonIrons 4 seconds you say? I say it’s more like 4 years! Let me break it down… currently there are over 30 million units sold. If each user took your 4 seconds to turn off just one movie this will equate to a cumulative 120 million seconds or approximately 3.8 years of switching off the controller.

So I suggest that next time DragonIrons please consider the wider community before giving your 4 second response.

diablo_de_luna  |  March 18th, 2017 at 2:22 am

The movie pauses when I pull up the menu to turn off the remote, and it doesn’t play again once the remote is off. PS3 did it right, the remote would silently turn off. I don’t need a stupid notification when a remote turns off. It’s a bad design, and your snide comment is unhelpful and doesn’t even work.

Punchnuts  |  September 22nd, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I’m with you CemeteryMan, we should absolutely have the option to disable this notification.

Nakatsu_Hime  |  November 14th, 2015 at 7:17 am

Heading as present is not really the whole story. However, reading your description, I do agree that there should be notification exeptions we can set, such as media playback.
So a Yes from me.

unrealmp3  |  March 27th, 2016 at 7:05 pm

This is one thing my wife complains about with the PS4, and she mostly uses it for media playback.

I notice she uses the PS3 more since she don’t get that popup when she’s watching something, which can break a scene when it shows up.

hICx5  |  April 5th, 2016 at 4:59 pm

So true! It makes absolutely no sense to me why they added this notification in the first place. The behavior of the PS3 was perfect: no notification when the controller turns off, only a tiny icon when it turns on. On the PS4, a controller feels like a peripheral device like a printer or something, not like the main remote control that is used all the time (and gets turned on/off frequently).
Even while gaming I don’t want a notification when a controller gets turned off. First, I see it because it’s not glowing anymore; second, the game will most likely tell me anyway if a controller that is currently needed was turned off.
So, please make this option happen!

OutOnBail_Again  |  July 21st, 2016 at 12:16 pm

I agree, we need to be able to turn off this pointless notification. My usual Blu-ray player was on the fritz so I used my PS4 to screen a movie for a large audience at a summer movie series the institution I work for sponsors, this popped up and it really looked amateur on my part. Please patch this asap.

EternalSight  |  July 21st, 2016 at 7:12 pm

How has this not been made an option yet!!??? they just released a big update yet this was not included… we can disable other notifications so why not this one?!

Moebius_One  |  August 15th, 2016 at 8:41 am

The inability to choose to switch off this unnecessary and intrusive notification during media playback is incomprehensible. It totally breaks suspension of disbelief during a film or TV show and should have been an option from day one. Requiring the user to leave the current software to manually switch off the controller after initiating the media playback is the kind of unsophisticated software behaviour one would expect from a cheap and unresolved unbranded media player and cheapens the PS4 user experience significantly.

betsaronie  |  September 14th, 2016 at 6:05 pm

The newest patch has made the disconnect notification box larger and white so it’s even more obtrusive now. I would very much like to see the notification box have a turn off the feature.

keefy  |  October 10th, 2016 at 9:10 pm

This popped up twice during watching the Star wars tonight, first was abnout 10 mins after starting the movie then again when I unpaused after getting a drink. There is no need for it, if people are away from the TV they do not see the notification anyway.

larrylalush  |  October 30th, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Most ANNOYING thing of PS4!! Such a mood killer!! I fricken HATE that notification!

spiritualarmy  |  February 7th, 2017 at 11:33 am

PLEASE!!!! literally the only issue I have with the PS4, period. this is such an annoying notification… an hour into a film, a really dramatic moment, DING THE CONTROLLER HAS TURNED OFF.

OK THANKS I DON’T CARE, IF I WAS USING IT I WOULD KNOW WHEN IT STOPS WORKING.

UnknownBeef  |  March 16th, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Yes please! I can stop using my Xbox as a media player once this happens!

diablo_de_luna  |  March 18th, 2017 at 2:27 am

Sony, why did you change this behavior from PS3 to PS4? You got it right with PS3, and then screwed it up with the PS4. I don’t need an obnoxious popup telling me that my remote turned off. It just interrupts whatever show I’m watching. Small issues like this really ruin the experience of the PS4 for TV shows and movies.