Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

.PNG or Uncompressed 1080p Screenshot Support

Idea 74723 | Posted in , , by | May 25, 2015

Ever taken a screenshot only to find it looks half as good as it really does? PS4 needs uncompressed, or .PNG screenshot support

9 Comments Add your own

playcat2  |  June 24th, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I would say just allow better quality compression.

paganhobbit  |  July 25th, 2015 at 12:50 pm

just tried to capture a screenshot from Journey for my computer’s desktop and it looks awful. I’m very disappointed that this is what we have on the PS4. It unbelievable to me that a console with a dedicated sharing button on the controller would share something so compressed and bad looking.

Wendel_T_Stamps  |  August 17th, 2015 at 8:58 am

Why would you just “allow” better quality compression? My Xbox has no problem taking PNG screenshots while my PS4 is languishing behind. The disparity in quality is ridiculous, especially since it was Sony that decided to include a dedicated button for such things.

Montpelier  |  August 17th, 2015 at 9:03 am

Developers like Evolution and Naughty Dog fold themselves in two to get the best possible image quality from the PS4, and the current screenshot system does them no justice at all. Source quality shots at system level please.

Kholdy  |  August 17th, 2015 at 10:16 am

This so much. It’s baffling that I can’t show my friends how beautiful some captures are because the system compressed the images to hell.

puamdefoke  |  August 17th, 2015 at 10:23 am

Very great Idea,.. it is appalling how compressed the screens look,.. Sharing them over twitter it is even worse

TONX  |  August 17th, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Yes. The quality i get from screenshots now are laughable. Sony wants me to share these artifacted screenshots?

LightningCamaro  |  August 18th, 2015 at 6:54 am

I would be absolutely in favour of this, the difference between actual gameplay and screenshot quality is quite noticeable.

If we had PNG support, you could easily get some high quality wallpaper/poster grade shots.

Onlytripleseven  |  October 25th, 2015 at 3:15 pm

This 100% – The screenshot quality is awful.