Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog

+1,092
Score

1,152
Votes

Cable for playing the PS Vita on TV

Idea 53834 | Posted in , by | February 23, 2012

If possible, can there be a composite/component cable for the PS Vita in order to play it on a TV?

87 Comments

Pages: 1 2

JayBizzle311  |  March 1st, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Not understanding the logic??? What’s the point of hooking up a HANDHELD SYSTEM to a television??

If you’re going to sit in a room and play a game on your TV then that’s what a PS3 is for.

TSTina  |  March 4th, 2012 at 11:24 am

The point, JayBizzle311, is to be able to play your games on the go, but also be able to hook them up to a big screen when you’re at home.

bow7  |  March 7th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

While I don’t think this would work as well as people think it might (if a game has touch controls, you need to look at the Vita) I upvoted because this is needed for reviewers and video makers.

GGCAN  |  March 12th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

It may not be available as the output would most likely by low quality SD….People with HDTVs would really notice.

jose213jose  |  March 14th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

accessory port on the vita for the video output is possible and it can do much more then that. I hear rumors about vita that are still not being use yet.

airtoast  |  March 19th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Vita needs TV out badly. I will not get one without it this time. I purchased the first PSP on day one in March 2005. I always wanted it to hook up to a TV but Sony purposely left this feature out of the PSP-1000. Why? There are a couple of reasons and Sony seems to be doing them all over again with the Vita. Sadly, history is repeating itself. Today, I leave a PSP-3000 hooked up to a TV in my house permanently, and it serves as a great extra console to have around.

airtoast  |  March 19th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Here are the main reasons Sony purposely did not include TV out on Vita:

1. Sony really wants to you to marvel at the new expensive screen and all that it does. Also, they think it would be too awkward and that you would be too confused to handle pressing and making gestures on a black blank screen as it is being projected onto a TV.
2. They want to keep portable and console gaming totally separate despite initiatives such as cross play, remote play, etc. Sony was worried about PSP sales cannibalizing PS2 sales if consumers could simply hook up a PSP to a TV. Today, they are worried again about Vita sales cutting into PS3 sales if you could just hook up a Vita to a TV.

So, as you can see, Sony learned absolutely nothing from the PSP! The addition of TV Out to the PSP didn’t end up cutting into PS2 sales at all, and it just ended up hurting the PSP with its ridiculous hardware limitations that left people scratching their heads.

airtoast  |  March 19th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Here we are a few years later and the same flawed strategy is being employed again, only this time they went all the way with proprietary memory cards, USB cables, etc. (Except for the headphone jack. Hooray!) Would anyone really say this strategy has worked out so far? Are these the kinds of actions that are going to turn everything around for Sony, Kaz? Even if Sony is making more on the proprietary junk, the public perception of this kind of disingenuousness is hurting them as well.

Hopefully, Vita sales pick up as the system was almost DOA at launch. It’s clearly the best portable gaming system ever made. Unfortunately, it also has some of the most expensive proprietary accessories and shocking hardware omissions I’ve ever seen on something in development for so many years.

Next time, Sony, be inclusive and look outside of Japan to get some input from people all over the world who cannot wait to give you our money for something truly awesome. You listened when you decided to add the 2nd analog stick, now listen to the other voices of reason as well.

tchaf34  |  March 20th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I hope this comes to fruition. I loved it on my PSP, and having it with the higher graphical capabilities of the Vita would be fantastic.

Rock_Lite  |  March 23rd, 2012 at 12:24 pm

my problems with psp on the tv:

psp on tv games didnt display full screen or proper ratio.

psp go could not have power plugged in while tv was connected defeating the purpose of playing those longer rpg games comfortably

psp go supported ps3 controllers but bluetooth took so much power that while connected to tv the battery died too quick defeating the whole purpose of using controller

there is no good reason besides flat out plain greed that they are using these tactics
they are more than capable of designing a psp that can play 2p ps1 games, hook up to tv etc just fine. there is no good reason not to have umd or psn psp games on a ps3 already either but we wont get into that. we all know the answer lies in greed. they are corporate. deal with it and enjoy what they do give you. they do it for the most affordable price possible at the time. otherwise start making your own.

Micro_Dave1  |  March 23rd, 2012 at 8:27 pm

JayBizzle311, as far as I know, you can’t play Vita Games on a PS3. If I’m wrong about this, lemme know, cause that would be great, actually.

The thing is, the vast majority of games for a Handheld Systems never see a re-release, or remake, for a Console.
This is a shame, especially when it comes to 60+ hour-long RPGs for portable systems.

ODINGameslayer  |  April 3rd, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hmm, I’m really mixed on this one. When I came in here, I agreed with JayBizzle. But several of you have made good arguments “for,” most notably mjc(#2).

I suppose it’s always best to go with the side of offering options. ALWAYS offer an option. If people want to use it, fine. If they don’t, fine too. The point is to give the choice.

Kchow23  |  April 19th, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I don’t think this could work specially for games that use the touchscreen and rear-touch because that forces you to use the PS Vita and would be awkward on TV.

Gamedude344  |  May 27th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I sorta have to disagree on the part where you guys say you’d have to look at the vita for touchschreen stuff.. I think it’d be sorta like how you don’t look at the keyboard when you type on a laptop.

Static_Space41  |  June 5th, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Although I agree with having a video out for the PSVita, I believe that having these out cables would hurt Sony’s sales, reason being, the Vita already has wireless connectivity with other Vitas and it’s a wireless game system. If all you needed was a bunch of Vitas and some video out cables attatched to your television, then what would the PS3 be used for? This idea would make PS3s obsolite. A company’s job is to support its customers while supporting its workers and foundation.

big_K3213  |  June 24th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

@Kchow23, when you play your ps3 do you look at the controller every time you want to throw a grenade, aim down the sights, or pull the trigger… no you just know where its at…

plecebo  |  July 1st, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Some one said the accessory port can be used for video out. I am assuming they mean possibly be used. While this may be possible idk the i/o’s of a vita my best guess is going to be some thing involving the proprietary port on the bottom. I mean the port has a massive amount of pins and could very well work the way apple designed their proprietary adapter (ie. audio, video, controls, etc.) i wouldn’t be surprised if it was a dock for use with media because playing a game that uses touch or any form of interaction other than joy and buttons would be useless and there’s only so much the video chip can take. Either way the vita is a hardware mammoth and i lov3 mine to death.

Nyheen  |  July 1st, 2012 at 5:06 pm

dont understand why people say “if you wanna play on tv get a ps3 then” there are some games that only for ps vita and NOT for ps3 same like how psp and it would be nice to hook it up on the big screen. i dont see why that would be a problem. the psp 2000+ had it and when we got the ps vita it dont anymore? why would they take out something so great like that for

MrTechno612  |  July 3rd, 2012 at 11:47 am

If this is possible and does happen then I would prefer an HDMI output.

peop-les  |  July 3rd, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Or even better stream video from vita to ps3 over wifi like with the ipad to the apple tv over airplay

U_I_H  |  July 9th, 2012 at 7:54 am

Everyone Keeps Asking Why Do You Need A Video Out?? Its so you can Use your video Glasses with Your Vita, so when your playing COD Black Ops 2 Online you Can See What The Hell Your Shooting At!!! That’s Why!!! That’s Why You Need A Video Out! Now Sony! Get to Work!

SuburbanHell  |  July 13th, 2012 at 10:33 am

Why is this not a thing yet?!?

unwaxedpoet  |  July 21st, 2012 at 1:34 pm

This would be easy for them to do with remote play. Currently you can play the PS3 on the VITA via remote play, by offering a reverse option doing the VITA on the PS3 would be perfect and wireless. (Though that wouldn’t help those w/o a PS3)

VGExplorers  |  August 7th, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Don’t do composite, it’s outdated and can’t handle the Vita’s resolution, 960×544.
For a resolution like this, I would highly recommend HDMI first then Component second.

Washuai  |  September 14th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I was thinking about getting a vita, again, but missing this feature, on top of others, has swung the scales. I buy 2-4 systems per handheld.

Video out is not just for home. Its for travel, the office, friends & family homes. I get this feature everyone it is available.

Also, sometimes you just need a controlled environment to boost a high score.

Sometimes the tiny screen is just too tiring on the eyes.

wireless streaming, hdmi, play through PS3, I do not care how it connects.

Exlortor  |  September 25th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Perhaps Sony should re-evaluate they’re selling tactics… and make the ps4 mobile AND capable of streaming at 1080p resolutions to tv… seems like they’d make a killing. =)

jaffa_cake_king  |  September 28th, 2012 at 8:24 am

The lack of being able to connect the Vita to a TV is the only thing stopping me from buying one.

cancerian  |  November 4th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

It is almost a year since the release, and still no tv connection cable!

PacoRUK  |  January 6th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I was hoping that the PSP one worked, I would also buy one of these, not because I want to play the vita on the tv but because I want to make youtube videos and the ones on there now are rubbish because it’s people filming themselves holding a Vita rather than capturing it through a PVR. Sony, take this idea seriously. Please!

imfrankenstein  |  February 11th, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Back before the vita came out we had gotten some debug units at my old work, I was super stoked cuz they had mini HDMI out. Then when the real thing came out it was kind of a bummer to see that it had that missing. I really wish they had it for the retail models.

P-Powell  |  March 23rd, 2013 at 7:13 am

There is a feature on the Vita called Remote Play/Cross Controller all we need to do is pressure Sony to reverse Remote Play and make it possible to stream your game to your tv through the usb cable or internet connection.

xenoranger1979  |  May 2nd, 2013 at 3:35 pm

At least Component out would be nice. Or is it that Sony is afraid people will use it to record achievements?

BRADON2508  |  September 7th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

YES!!!!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN AND WHILE YOUR AT IT BRING SOME GUNDAM GAMES TO THE PS VITA US PSN!!!!!!!

hareshiva  |  November 13th, 2013 at 11:43 pm

sony SHOULD make a hdmi cable

DragonIrons  |  February 2nd, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Then you’ll be waiting a long arse time to never Tina….. The original Vitas have the ability to upscale. I just read on Wiki that Sony was thinking about bringing out a cable to output to TV’s….. then scrapped it in favor of making the Vita TV mini console. The newer versions of the Vita can’t even upscale cause of that decision. So we have a port on top next to the game card slot that’s useless…. and now we have to buy a Vita TV for $100 (if they ever bring the damn thing out in the US…..) instead of a… $40 cable. >.>

ya I’m pissed…. but i’ll still be getting a Vita TV. Unless it’s an actual Vita game that REQUIRES touchscreen…. I’d rather play on my TV. I’d get less headaches… and it’s bigger lol.

Pages: 1 2