Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

Ability to change User ID

Idea 73415 | Posted in , by | May 20, 2014

PS4 needs an update to add the ability to change User ID for $5.

708 Comments Add your own

Pages: 1 11 12 13

Vicbou  |  October 11th, 2016 at 8:57 am

Don’t make this happen. Ever. Only someone age sixteen and below would ever think this is a good idea.

missdeona  |  October 13th, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Oh really? Let me tell you something, boy.

I’m 41, am going through an identity change for my own protection. My online ID is from my old life before then.

Only those 16 and under think of it as a good idea? How presumptuous of you….and wrong.

iVagah  |  October 18th, 2016 at 10:06 am

30,000 upvotes.
ATTN PLAYSTATION: Its time.
Ive already got a great new username picked out!

Maick_GS  |  October 22nd, 2016 at 2:40 pm

I would like to have that option at least to use some time because I am now using an account that made for guests and put a any ID, but I would like to change put a better ID … Because my main account is in another country there I can not put ps plus or have access to paid DLCs and games pormoções, could leave free to change once after q want change will have to pay and Sony will make lots of money with it, because create account and start from zero not the long lost, and also of a lot of work because it has games that you have to set it manually, exemple pro evolution soccer this game has to practically set it all manual is very annoying takes a long time out online progress if you are a high lvl and having to make another account and start from scratch, but hackers can easily it will play the game to see the lvl have any difficulties climbing the pleyrs expelling you from missions is very annoying

creed1356  |  October 22nd, 2016 at 5:47 pm

I would like to see this feature added for the reason that I created my user ID over 10 years ago when I had a psp and was unable to create a new psn account without a new email and I don’t want to have to keep track of several different email accounts because I don’t like my ID and I also don’t want to lose access to hundreds of dollars worth of content in order to change it.

PM4MVP  |  November 13th, 2016 at 10:45 pm

My husband and I have been playing destiny since initial release- it’s one of the ways we started dating. We want to change our IDs to match our married status since we always play together but don’t want to lose 3 years worth of characters and progress- PLEASE allow a once per account name update or once/year uodste!

JAD_  |  November 19th, 2016 at 6:42 am

How is this still not a thing? Wake up Sony. Xbox let’s you do it. Steam let’s you do it. Google let’s you do it for mobile games on Android. I can change my username for games on my phone but not on my PlayStation. This is embarrassing.

InsaneMalware  |  November 21st, 2016 at 11:52 am

Xbox, Steam and many others has this very basic functionality. This for sure is the most wanted item in the list for a long time and until now wasn’t implemented. It’s a shame. Wake up Sony. The players want to change their username, your region location. We want more flexibility.

dark18assassin92  |  December 1st, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I would like this too! I’ve asked for it enough times

-dark18assassin92

liamwhit34  |  December 7th, 2016 at 12:46 pm

I chose my username years ago, didn’t think it would be shown in games, cause as you can see its my first name and some of my last name, so being able to change it to something cooler would be good. Also I agree with the comment about them just caring about money, hence why they copied Xbox to pay to play online.. But oh well.. the world is growing up with greed, stupid ideas and stupid trends.

mamuske  |  January 12th, 2017 at 9:40 am

Oh sony please make this
evan if not for free ill pay 🙁

wayne_399  |  January 13th, 2017 at 11:12 am

YES!!!! I use my best friends account since he got a new one and i need to change the gmertag!

Perweek  |  January 19th, 2017 at 1:31 am

Sony! I beg of you as a PlayStation member since ps1 we need this psn id change and reset the inactive/ban account names.. Please ❤

Ezhy  |  January 19th, 2017 at 1:37 am

Sony! I beg on my knees for you guys to do a name change and a reset on all inactive accounts. Please

DARKB1KE  |  February 2nd, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Terrible idea. Think about all the trolls.

TFT_Wildcard  |  February 7th, 2017 at 6:36 pm

My profile name is correlated to my old band who I have bad relations with. Its like having an ex girlfriend’s name tattooed on me. If Sony has any common sense, they would realize people are not going to want to keep the same name as people’s interests and who they are change

REckLess_0777  |  February 11th, 2017 at 7:23 pm

We should be able to change our gamer tag at least once with account verification and if we want to change it again then we should have to pay at least $5 for it. A lot of people have made their gamer tag when they were younger and made stupid names but in the course of spending time, effort, and money into an account it’s just not worth losing all of that just to make a new account .

shayanrabiei  |  February 16th, 2017 at 8:27 am

Or maybe even add a online game id which is shown in the game…..

LEFT__4__DEAD__2  |  February 18th, 2017 at 10:35 am

This would be a great most wanted feature and i agree with having limits =^-^=

oJSPYDEYo  |  February 22nd, 2017 at 9:43 pm

I’m surprised this hasn’t already happened. This is one thing Microsoft has been doing since the 360 and it clearly hasn’t been an issue on their end. If anything they are getting more money because they charge for the name change. Charge us $10 a name change and allow it once a year. If all 30+ people on here who are voting they want this change are willing to pay the $10 fee that’s over 300k in revenue and happy Playstation owners. Seems like a win/win in my book.

TMJ-594  |  March 2nd, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I want to change my name because, well, LOOK AT IT!

I didn’t know TMJ was short for Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome/disorder, it stands for something else ok.

kingsainsburys  |  March 12th, 2017 at 10:34 am

It should free for 1st change of id then $15 for any wants to change id for second time

FuriousAngelX30  |  March 14th, 2017 at 8:12 am

Sony please let us change our PSN! Just add a notification that displays something like player “x” changed their psn to “y”. This with the real name feature reduces any confusion that may arise.

krzak97  |  March 20th, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Just copy the solution which is in use on steam

Thrasher1009  |  March 25th, 2017 at 3:38 am

I think it’s a good idea because if you create a ID but like it you can able to change the ID that you like

Silent__Killer01  |  April 2nd, 2017 at 8:27 pm

I just want this added so we can move on.

nethy_x3  |  April 27th, 2017 at 8:14 am

In 2014 they said they wanted to implement name changing, but they wanted to avoid griefing. Well, how about you only allow name changes 1 a year and charge 10$ for it? Simple.
So now that you have the solution, are we getting name-changes?

eldominicanoB993  |  April 29th, 2017 at 6:59 am

I want this feauture so badly I was 15 when I created mine

SirSandro_  |  May 1st, 2017 at 2:33 pm

so has anyone heard from sony on this one? are they seriously just ignoring us? i had no idea this would be permanent, now everyone thinks im mexican

Jesias  |  May 7th, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Honestly, I sympathize with people that make thier accounts before they realized it was a long term commitment, but allowing id change facilitates sale of a psn accounts. I agree that they should be able to change psn account name, but also understand that it comes at a risk, especially with alot more MMOs being on PS4 now, selling accounts is alot harder, and frankly its something that is commendable that PSN has pulled off stifling sales of MMO accounts by linking them to an unchangable PSN id. That being said, yea, I’d be down for changing psn ids, Id finally be able to make my buddies lose the idiotic numbers and think of a unique name that isnt claimed.

Ronie-Pato  |  May 9th, 2017 at 5:36 am

Please Sony, add this long-awaited feature.

DeCSS6  |  May 22nd, 2017 at 8:58 pm

We can already display out ‘real name’ to our close friends. Just let users display out ‘real name’ to everyone. That solves all the issues and obviously is something that you already have just allow users to display the real name globally. This is such a simple thing that you should be able to do.

strawberry06chic  |  May 30th, 2017 at 11:33 am

Seriously i would pay for this. I created the name in middle school and can’t change it 🙁

Electromagn8  |  May 31st, 2017 at 9:34 am

I’ve sorted through dozen of (unavailable) names and settled for one I didn’t really care for without realizing that it would follow me to the grave unless I abandon ship. This is completely unreasonable & anybody from the community who would wish to deny somebody else the freedom because “they should have thought harder” are unhelpful at best & malicious at worst. Changing this could potentially improve the quality for thousands of PSN users & bring in revenue. Why it hasn’t always been an option is baffling to say the least. I find it hard to believe that so many are in favor of this blatant limitation.

Timothy_Legend  |  June 2nd, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I also Agree! I would however pay $20 for a 1 time PSNid change.

Rohalo3  |  June 19th, 2017 at 2:48 pm

I would really love the option to do this. I would Pay up to $15 to change my tag. Not sure why I made it Rohalo3. Guess I was an old xbox fanboy that switched to PS4. Now I want to change it.

Siegzeit  |  June 20th, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Sony keeps labelling this as a technical issue, but as a Software Engineer I can tell you there are solutions that can be implemented, depending on what software they are willing to modify. I believe trophies started in PS3 and also exist in Vita and PS4, correct? So they would all need to receive system updates, which is no big deal I think.

The problem is that they are using your PSN ID as the key in the database in a bunch of places. Well get a team to find all these places while you create a new database field, say PSN_ID_Actual and have the first software update copy your PSN ID to this new PSN_ID_Actual field. This new field will be the visible and changeable PSN ID. Now they can add another field that is basically just a generated ID for new software to use as the primary key, and continue letting the old software use the PSN ID as the key.

Siegzeit  |  June 20th, 2017 at 10:11 pm

During this time the backend needs to change to use the PSN_ID_Actual field for displaying the PSN ID. Once that support is implemented across all PSN services, a new software can be rolled out that changes the systems to actually read the new PSN_ID_Actual field and use it for displaying the PSN ID. Run it for a bit and test it, make sure it works. Then start allowing some PSN ID changes and see how it goes. If problems are found, they can be fixed before it’s enabled for all users.

Most likely, the original PSN ID will need to be saved in the account for historical/old apps/services that have not been updated yet. It will not be visible to the end user, but just saved in the database until maybe one day when nobody uses PS3s and Vitas. They can continue to reference that field, while new accounts generate an ID for that field that was not a valid PSN ID before (so it doesn’t clash with existing IDs), until like I said, they don’t need that field anymore.

Siegzeit  |  June 20th, 2017 at 10:12 pm

It just requires careful planning and loosing trophies and stuff can be avoided. It just cannot be done as an atomic update, but requires 2 system updates and a backend update between them. But at least that way everything is safe and backwards compatibility can be preserved. Speaking from a software perspective, changing the index key in a database is a very risky operation, but in my understanding Sony already changed to an internal ID starting with the PS4, it’s just the older consoles and web services that still use the PSN name. Well keep that field. Who cares if some old sites still show your old ID. I doubt that will create confusion, especially if you let users know that for a while they might still see the old ID around on certain sites/consoles. It’s the new sites/consoles I care about more. The sooner they make this change, the easier it will be in the future.

In more simple terms,

this request can be done. You just have to create a new field for IDs while preserving the old one, and gradually changing all software to reference an internal ID for the account instead of the PSN name.

Korsah_1991  |  June 24th, 2017 at 5:05 am