Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

IPv6 Support

Idea 76046 | Posted in by | September 26, 2014

IPv6 is the future. A lot of ISP’s are supporting it. TWC has rolled it out to 95% of their residential footprint. Comcast too. IPv6 support is increasing rapidly. Don’t get left in the dust Sony!

13 Comments Add your own

DukeBlackadder  |  February 4th, 2016 at 5:30 am

IPv6 would in many cases give lower latency. Xbox One supports IPv6. PSN, PS4, PS3 and PS Vita needs IPv6 support asap.

thehatteryone  |  February 28th, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I agree, all Playstation users would benefit massively right now from being able to ditch NAT, and people purchasing a PS4 today may find themselves on IPv6-only networks within the console’s lifetime. Now that the major fixed-access providers in the US and Europe are rolling it out, and since most mobile networks, plus South America and other developing areas are primarily IPv6 networks it’s going to become a pain point preventing people from buying Sony consoles in the near future.

matemalte  |  March 15th, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Please add ipv6 support to the PlayStation 4 (and the online services of course). Having an ipv6 only connection (with ipv4 via DS-Lite which slows down connections and decreases download speeds when many people are using the internet.
If possible, I would just ditch ipv4 completely. Sadly, the ps4 doesn’t Support ipv6 so I’m stuck.

I mean, even if not all gameservers support it, I could at least watch Netflix without problems or play games that have proper ipv6 support.

Really sad for a major game console in 2016 to have 0 support for ipv6.

ddcruver  |  March 29th, 2016 at 8:21 am

I have a multi-PS4 home and this makes it really difficult to enable port forwarding / UPnP to elevated all NAT routing issues. Using IPv6 and help your customers have a more frustrating free experience. The ease of use is why I am console gaming in the first place. Please continue to make it an enjoyable experience.

SimplePanda  |  May 16th, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Would love proper IPv6 support!

Understandably, certain server based online gaming would need the developers to be involved in the process but at least providing / enabling the API’s going forward is a good start.

Otherwise, there is some real low-hanging fruit:

– IPv6 support for the PS Store / downloads. If the PS4 has an IPv6 address, downloading data over IPv6!
– IPv6 support for Remote Play. Being able to cut through my router/firewall using IPSec/IPv6 from my Mac at the office and play remotely is a lot cleaner solution than the port forwarding insanity that goes on now.
– IPv6 support for party voice chat. True peer to peer voice chat without random “NAT Issues” causing people to drop out (especially people in the same house / multiple PS4’s behind a single router). IPSec/IPv6 makes this work great.

Microsoft has really shown how this can be done!

ZHS-Korrak  |  May 19th, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Would really love to ditch the Incompatible NAT issues I have in party chat because of using multiple PS4s.
Also, if it’s being delayed because of certain game servers being compatible, I’m sure that they’d do everything they could to update their servers to be IPv6 compatible following Sony. They want peogle playing their games.

agresionpower  |  March 30th, 2017 at 12:57 pm

please add ipv6 support soon. more and more people are getting behind a CGNAT because of the ipv4 shortages and it’s getting really frustrating.
So please join the rest of us in the 21st century and add ipv6 support.

douglasmendes_br  |  December 6th, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I can’t upgrade my internet connection plan because I’ll lose IPv4 (being left to CGNAT). Please add support to IPv6!

DrDabbles  |  December 9th, 2017 at 9:45 pm

As v4 addresses continue to increase in price and resale value, more and more providers are migrating to CGN. At the same time, the number of globally routable v6 addresses assigned is increasing more and more rapidly.

Supporting IPv6 on the PlayStation Network as well as PlayStation devices now as a feature that must be enabled manually will help Sony debug any v6 issues that clients may have. It will also allow Sony to report their findings to providers and home router vendors to better support end users. Delaying support only means a more difficult and rushed support program as more customers demand the feature due to providers no longer supporting direct v4 addressing to client networks.

BasementTrix  |  January 7th, 2018 at 4:06 am

Here’s the comment that’s going to enrage this entire thread:

The PS4 OS SUPPORTS IPv6. It polls the router and sets an EUI-64 address exactly like it’s supposed to. You can even ping it.

What’s really infuriating is that the User Interface does not acknowledge that IPv6 exists. That’s where the support is needed.

AL13NW4R3_  |  February 14th, 2018 at 6:46 pm

Will this ever be available on PlayStation? I have checked a lot of online posts about this and yet no official answer from Sony. If that’s the case then I won’t be renewing my PS+ next year and will definitely consider getting an Xbox next time I buy a console, Sony’s network team is a joke.