Join Now   Login PlayStation.Blog
Select a Language: English
  Visit: PlayStation.Blog.EU

Ability to Change Notification Box Color

Idea 86121 | Posted in , by | August 25, 2016

Please give users the option to freely select the color of notification boxes or at least choose between the white color introduced in Firmware 4.00 and the original black color.

42 Comments Add your own

Mist-akable  |  September 8th, 2016 at 6:47 am

Yes. This new white color is too ugly and is barely a redesign. I makes the trophy screenshot too ugly to share for me. Please bring back the black color.

Michelasso  |  September 14th, 2016 at 3:35 am

I can’t believe Sony changed it. What’s this ugly trend of going White on the UI? Also in Android, same crap. WE WANT DARK THEMES!! The PlayStation devs must learn from the What’s New app in the Xperia phones!

ErisLibra  |  September 14th, 2016 at 7:32 am

It’s not just that it’s ugly and doesn’t fit with the themes the real problem having is actually cannot read it not going to list issues/reasons why but black on pure white, narrow and symmetrical font it was hard enough before with how quick they came and went. The rest of the system is great for milli-managing something that works with less frustration than expected about as much as than typing this out.

CityHunterRen  |  September 14th, 2016 at 9:27 am

Exactly, another big issue is that now notifications are more difficult to read, even my friends noticed this.

The best way to solve this new issue is to give the user the ability to choose the color of boxes, or even simpler choose between original black and the new white.

ExPoSeD-_-KaMpEr  |  September 16th, 2016 at 6:56 pm

i think it’s stupid that they did not think to let you chose whatever color you want, i could read the white on black from across the room, now i squint at the black on white and i have a 65″ tv

TrashPitter  |  September 19th, 2016 at 8:16 am

Please change the Color back to Black. It was much easier to read and looked quite better in my opinion. Thanks!

olliebear66t  |  September 19th, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I cant stand the new notifications especially for trophies they were perfect before. The next update should be whithin the next few weeks i am praying for it to go back to how it used to be.

daviddata  |  September 20th, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I am 100% FOR the possibility to CHANGE the color of the notification, but AGAINST removing the white cause I actually like it.

oscarELC12  |  September 24th, 2016 at 3:33 pm

I agree, I would like the original black color of the old firmware, It’s easier to read and more stylish in my opinion.

CityHunterRen  |  September 25th, 2016 at 10:51 am

Another issue I noticed with the new white boxes is they inverted the size of text when you receive the notification for unlocking a trophy:

With the original black box notification we had the name of the trophy unlocked with a big font on the first line, and on the second line a smaller font that says “you have unlocked a trophy!”.

Now with the white notification boxes, we have the first line with big font that says “Trophy Earned!”, and on the second line we have the name of the trophy with a smaller font.

I don’t think the new solution makes more sense, it’s just hard to read and also not intuitive.

Dead-Sync  |  September 27th, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I would definitely love a “Dark Theme” for notifications.

I actually like the new notification layout and slight style change, so I wouldn’t want an outright copy of the pre-4.00 version, but just taking the new notifications and offering a Dark Theme would be great, keeping the blue icons and lines, but using black and dark grey for the 2-tone notifications, and black or dark grey for the one-tone notifications.

Darkaja  |  October 3rd, 2016 at 6:08 am

Just change it back to the previous one. Seriously, who the hell thinked to made it white? It’s damn ugly.

dank-dumbledorf  |  October 10th, 2016 at 4:36 pm

The new update to the UI is fantastic and you’ve done a great job Sony – except for the coloring of the notifications. Come on, at least give your consumers a choice to choose between black or white.

sunjay140  |  October 10th, 2016 at 6:00 pm

I loathe the white notification in the 4.0 updates. It would be much appreciated to get a dark theme for notifications.

infiniti_1-Up  |  October 10th, 2016 at 8:51 pm

A color option would be nice, but what I really want is OPACITY control.

There’s nothing more frustrating than having my radar completely covered up in the middle of a match, or my chat/info window blocked as unseen messages scroll by.

That corner is precious screen real-estate!

PlanetSurvival  |  October 10th, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I love all the changes made to the UI except for making notifications boxes white. Black was a perfect color as it was much easier on the eyes; white should be an optional color, not a mandatory one.

illegalfreq  |  October 11th, 2016 at 2:29 am

I agree with you, the new white look isn’t as good as the original. I hope they will make it changeable for ones who doesn’t like it.

TheFlyingPuffin  |  October 11th, 2016 at 3:58 am

It’s a small thing, sure, but annoying nonetheless and something they should allow us to have a choice in regards to.

Dzhon_Mustard  |  October 11th, 2016 at 5:00 am

Yeah, the new color for trophies and notifications is pretty awful. I have 20/20 and I can barely read it. The white wouldn’t be so bad if the font on top wasn’t so thin and light. For that reason, I think if you were to give the option of black or white box, everyone would choose black. If you redesign the text to be thicker and darker on the white, I might actually enjoy the white.

Sony, if you’re reading this, thanks. If not, we’ll boo on you!

Glasweg1an  |  October 11th, 2016 at 8:49 am

This reall needs to happen, I quite dislike the current colour.

SamfortalS  |  October 11th, 2016 at 10:38 am

Which I could choose the color. red, Green, Blue, Black, etc…

Arnulf2  |  October 11th, 2016 at 11:44 am

Yes, the black notifications were just right. There was no need to change it.

Alcapwn89  |  October 11th, 2016 at 3:52 pm

The option to choose between black/white notifications would be great.

velogab  |  October 11th, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Absolutely! The black trophy notifications looked much better than the new ones.

Dante-Payne  |  November 14th, 2016 at 2:53 am

Need this urgently! Really don’t know why they changed it,the black background is so much stylish and “eye-friendly”, lol.

AaronHumphreysUK  |  November 24th, 2016 at 1:43 pm

It would be nice to have an option to change the notification box colour and what would be even better is if they added more colours other than black and white

InVerso9  |  December 10th, 2016 at 9:36 am

I tried to ignore it… I really tried but I CANT STAND THIS WHITE ANYMORE!
Please Sony just give me the option to change it back to black. Collecting trophy screenshots is fantastic but this white notification is just killing it for me…

olliebear66t  |  December 12th, 2016 at 4:49 pm

-Bright white background
-No border
-Ugly
-Jarring
-More difficult to read
-‘You have earned a trophy’>’trophy earned’
-Can’t tell difference between bronze/gold trophy
-Longer text doesn’t get displayed anymore
-Trophy name has been put in small at the bottom rather than big at the top
-Doesn’t feel rewarding anymore
-Stopped me from playing some games due to waiting to see if it gets changed back
Sony please fix. I don’t know why this was changed or necessary. They were perfect before.

MFGreth  |  December 27th, 2016 at 11:42 am

It is much harder for me to read the black on white; I don’t mind the new UI, I would just like color scheme options.

TVippy  |  January 5th, 2017 at 7:11 am

WHHYYYYYY WAS IT CHANGED in the first place, indeed!? Makes absolutely no sense.

The new style looks incredibly shi*ty.

Treebeard8  |  January 6th, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Please give us the option to change it back to the dark oroginal theme.

Da_Latte101  |  January 27th, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Please allow for a colour change for the notifications. If it is added make the pallet colour selection darkish colours and nothing to bright other wise the new feature would be useless as the community wants a darker background for their notifications because everyone is complaining about the white colour

Thessoup  |  February 2nd, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Absolutely hate the white trophy notifications. They’ve been throwing off my trophy hunting ever since the update

soulgirl_ps  |  February 9th, 2017 at 8:10 am

Hate the white color for the notifications. Please change it to black or give us an option to choose darker color scheme!

haagsebaas  |  April 18th, 2017 at 10:12 am

I have eye problems, readability did not improve at all. The dark notifications really were easier on my eyes. I understand that some like or even prefer the new one but give us a choice, please, as not everyone seems to think of it as an improvement.

DiegoGames92  |  May 7th, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Sony please!!!! ability to change notification box color, white is ugly!!

The__Sou1forged  |  May 16th, 2017 at 6:13 am

I don’t really think the new notifications are ugly, but they have been very difficult for me to read.

JorgeSleep  |  September 5th, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Give us the option to change this, at least, we deserve that!